Proof gas loses 1/273 of its volume - Charle's Law

In summary, using Charle's Law, we can show that any gas will lose 1/273 of its volume at 0°C when cooled by 1 degree Celsius. Starting with any arbitrary volume V1 and solving for V2, we get the equation V1 - 1/273V1 = V2. This means that the second volume (V2) will be 1/273 less than the initial volume (V1). While the volume at 0K may be 0 for ideal gases, this is not the case for all gases.
ghostanime2001

Homework Statement

Show that any gas loses 1/273 of its volume at 0 °C, when it is cooled by 1 Celsius degree.

[itex]V_{1}=?[/itex]

[itex]V_{2}=?[/itex]

[itex]T_{1}=0 °C=273 K[/itex]

[itex]T_{2}=272 K[/itex]

Homework Equations

I'm assuming I have to use Charle's Law AND starting with any starting arbitrary volume:

[itex]\dfrac{V_{1}}{T_{1}}=\dfrac{V_{2}}{T_{2}}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

So substituting in all the values above and solving for V2 I get:

[itex]\dfrac{V_{1}}{273}=\dfrac{V_{2}}{272}[/itex]

[itex]272V_{1}=273V_{2}[/itex]

[itex]\dfrac{272}{273}V_{1}=V_{2}[/itex]

[itex]\dfrac{273-1}{273}V_{1}=V_{2}[/itex]

[itex]\left(\dfrac{273}{273}-\dfrac{1}{273}\right)V_{1}=V_{2}[/itex]

[itex]\left(1-\dfrac{1}{273}\right)V_{1}=V_{2}[/itex]

[itex]V_{1}-\dfrac{1}{273}V_{1}=V_{2}[/itex]

That's as far as I can get and I guess it makes sense? If I start with any [itex]V_{1}[/itex] i subtract that with 1/273th of the initial volume and i get the second volume. Assuming I start with

[itex]V_{1}=1 L[/itex], the second volume [itex]V_{2}[/itex] would be 0.996 L. The second set of experimental conditions are colder so I expect the volume to decrease following Charle's Law.

BUT! am I supposed to show explicitly that [itex]\dfrac{1}{273}=V_{2}[/itex] ? How do I show [itex]\dfrac{1}{273}=V_{2}[/itex] explicitly?

Physics news on Phys.org
You are almost done. Hint: loses 1/273 volume doesn't mean V2=1/273. Try to express the loss in terms of V1-V2, or V2/V1.

Volume is proportional to T in Kelvins.
The volume at 0C (273K) = Vo, the volume at -273C (0K) = 0
Change in volume ? Change in temp ?

technician said:
the volume at -273C (0K) = 0
Change in volume ? Change in temp ?
The volume at 0K = 0 only holds for ideal gases (hint: nothing is ideal).

removed

Last edited:
This discussion if off topic, and in no way helpful for the OP. Question doesn't need any information about gas behavior at 0 deg K to be solved.

Related to Proof gas loses 1/273 of its volume - Charle's Law

1. How does Charles's Law explain the relationship between temperature and volume of a gas?

Charles's Law states that at a constant pressure, the volume of a gas is directly proportional to its temperature. This means that as the temperature of a gas increases, its volume also increases, and vice versa.

2. What is the significance of the 1/273 ratio in Charles's Law?

The 1/273 ratio in Charles's Law represents the change in volume of a gas at 0°C (273 K). This means that for every 1 degree Celsius change in temperature, the volume of a gas will change by 1/273 of its original volume.

3. Can Charles's Law be applied to all gases?

Yes, Charles's Law can be applied to all gases, as long as the pressure remains constant. This is because it is based on the properties of ideal gases, which follow the same behavior regardless of the type of gas.

4. How is Charles's Law related to other gas laws?

Charles's Law is related to Boyle's Law and Gay-Lussac's Law, which together form the combined gas law. Boyle's Law states that at a constant temperature, the volume of a gas is inversely proportional to its pressure. Gay-Lussac's Law states that at a constant volume, the pressure of a gas is directly proportional to its temperature.

5. What are some real-life applications of Charles's Law?

Charles's Law has several real-life applications, such as in hot air balloons, where the volume of air inside the balloon expands as it is heated, allowing it to rise. It is also used in refrigeration systems, where the expansion of gas as it is heated is used to cool down the surrounding environment.