Proof for the limit of a definite integral where the integrand varies

In summary, the conversation discusses proving a limit involving an integral using an epsilon-delta argument. The speaker presents their own proof, but acknowledges that it may not be rigorous enough. Another participant mentions using the delta function to solve the problem and explains its properties. Finally, they mention the possibility of using complex analysis to solve the problem.
Boorglar

Homework Statement

This problem was taken from Spivak's Calculus 3rd Edition, Problem 19-25 (d).

Let [itex]f[/itex] be integrable on [itex][-1 , 1][/itex] and continuous at [itex]0[/itex]. Show that [tex] \lim_{h\rightarrow 0^+} {\int_{-1}^{1}{\frac{h} {h^2+x^2}}f(x)dx = {\pi}f(0).}[/tex]

Homework Equations

I already proved from part (c) that [tex] \lim_{h\rightarrow 0^+} {\int_{-1}^{1}{\frac{h} {h^2+x^2}}dx = {\pi}}[/tex]
which is easy with arctan.

The Attempt at a Solution

I found a way to prove it but I am not 100% sure that it is rigorous enough (and the proof given in the answers is different).

First consider [itex] \int_{-h}^{h}{\frac{h} {h^2+x^2}}f(x)dx. [/itex] Since [itex]f[/itex] is continuous at [itex]0[/itex], then for some [itex]\delta > 0,[/itex] [itex]f(0) - \epsilon < f(x) < f(0) + \epsilon[/itex] for all x in [itex][-\delta , \delta].[/itex] Choose [itex]0<h<\delta[/itex]. Then [tex] (f(0)-\epsilon) \int_{-h}^{h}{\frac{h} {h^2+x^2}}dx < \int_{-h}^{h}{\frac{h} {h^2+x^2}}f(x)dx < (f(0)+\epsilon) \int_{-h}^{h}{\frac{h} {h^2+x^2}}dx[/tex] [tex]{\pi}(f(0)-\epsilon) ≤ \lim_{h\rightarrow 0^+} {\int_{-h}^{h}{\frac{h} {h^2+x^2}}f(x)dx} ≤ \pi(f(0)+\epsilon) [/tex] taking the limits by part (c) and this is true for any [itex]\epsilon > 0 [/itex] so [tex] \lim_{h\rightarrow 0^+} {\int_{-h}^{h}{\frac{h} {h^2+x^2}}f(x)dx} = {\pi}f(0) [/tex]

Now consider [itex]\int_{h+\delta'}^1{\frac{h} {h^2+x^2}}f(x)dx [/itex] for any [itex]\delta' > 0. [/itex]
[tex] \frac{h} {h^2+1}\int_{h+\delta'}^1{f(x)dx} < \int_{h+\delta'}^1{\frac{h} {h^2+x^2}}f(x)dx < \frac{h} {h^2+(h+\delta')^2}\int_{h+\delta'}^1{f(x)dx}[/tex] (the maximum and minimum values of the fraction occur at [itex]h+\delta'[/itex] and [itex]1[/itex] respectively). Therefore, since the integral is a number, [tex]
\lim_{h\rightarrow 0^+} {\int_{h+\delta'}^1{\frac{h} {h^2+x^2}}f(x)dx} = 0 [/tex]
and this is true for any [itex]\delta'>0.[/itex]

Finally consider [itex]\int_{h}^{h+\delta'}{\frac{h} {h^2+x^2}}f(x)dx. [/itex] Add the requirement that [itex]h+\delta' < \delta[/itex] so that [tex]
\frac{h} {h^2+1}\int_{h}^{h+\delta'}{f(x)dx} < \int_{h}^{h+\delta'}{\frac{h} {h^2+x^2}}f(x)dx < (f(0)+\epsilon) \int_{h}^{h+\delta'} {\frac{h} {2h^2}dx} = \frac{\delta'}{2h}(f(0)+\epsilon) < \frac{h}{2}(f(0)-\epsilon) [/tex] if we also require that [itex]\delta'<h^2[/itex]. Since we can make this smaller than any number by choosing small enough [itex]h[/itex] and [itex]\delta'[/itex] with the given requirements, this shows that [tex] \lim_{h\rightarrow 0^+} {\int_{h}^{h+\delta'}{\frac{h} {h^2+x^2}}f(x)dx} = 0 [/tex] for any small enough [itex]\delta'[/itex].

Combining all three results shows that [tex] \lim_{h\rightarrow 0^+} {\int_{-1}^{1}{\frac{h} {h^2+x^2}}f(x)dx} = \lim_{h\rightarrow 0^+} {\int_{-h}^{h}{\frac{h} {h^2+x^2}}f(x)dx} + 2\lim_{h\rightarrow 0^+} {\int_{h+\delta'}^1{\frac{h} {h^2+x^2}}f(x)dx} + 2\lim_{h\rightarrow 0^+} {\int_{h}^{h+\delta'}{\frac{h} {h^2+x^2}}f(x)dx} = {\pi}f(0) + 0 + 0 = {\pi}f(0) [/tex] (using symmetry).

QED

Ok that was long and maybe confusing, I'm sorry... but that's the proof I could find. Can you tell me if there are any gaps or incorrect assumptions in the proof? Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
I see that for [itex] \lim_{h\rightarrow 0^+} {\int_{-1}^{1}{\frac{h} {h^2+x^2}}dx = {\pi}} [/itex] , but [itex] \int_{-h}^{h}{\frac{h} {h^2+x^2}}dx= {\pi}/2 [/itex] I believe? If you visualize [itex] \lim_{h\rightarrow 0^+} [/itex] as [itex] \lim_{n\rightarrow \inf} [/itex] with all the h=1/n, you can evaluate as a pointwise convergent function, that only has value at x=0 as n-> inf, and if you normalize [itex] {\frac{h} {h^2+x^2}} [/itex] over ℝ , you'll get a delta function, which gives useful properties in terms of integration. Nascent delta function comes to mind for this case

tt2348 said:
I see that for [itex] \lim_{h\rightarrow 0^+} {\int_{-1}^{1}{\frac{h} {h^2+x^2}}dx = {\pi}} [/itex] , but [itex] \int_{-h}^{h}{\frac{h} {h^2+x^2}}dx= {\pi}/2 [/itex] I believe?

Oh you're right! Then I must've completely messed-up haha (although I still got the correct answer)

In this case this would mean that another [itex]{\frac {\pi} {2}}f(0)[/itex] must appear from somewhere... And yet intuitively the other integrals should converge to 0, shouldn't they?

Replace your limits of integration with h^2, (or 1/n^2) ... i loaaaaaaaathe one sided limits, and prefer sequences of 1/n that will converge to 0+.
Remember youre dealing with a function that pointwise will converge to 0 for all non zero x, but go to infinity for x=0. if you redefine youre h/(h^2+x^2) as a delta function by normalizng the integral over R ( ie delta(X)=lim n-> inf n/(pi*(1+(nx)^2)), youll get integral delta(x)*f(x)=f(0), and multiplying the pi over from the normalized delta function gives pi*f(0)

hmmm I'm not really familiar with the delta function. Why does the delta function work with those kinds of limits? And also, since the book doesn't mention it yet, I suppose he expects a solution using an epsilon-delta argument.

Delta function is 0 for all non zero x, but goes to infinity at x=0. It's interesting because when integrated over all R, it's 1, and pops up a lot in physics. What material are you covering in this chapter? Anything having to do with cauchys principal value theorem?

No it's actually a chapter on Indefinite Integration. But the problems tend to get hard and more off-topic after the first few. I haven't heard of the Cauchy principal value theorem :rolleyes:
In the answers he uses an epsilon-delta argument but his proof was confusing to me so I tried finding a similar argument that would be more clear to me.

Is there any way you could post the solution he gave? I could help explain what he is doing. If not, there's a whole complex analysis way of solving this also.

Related to Proof for the limit of a definite integral where the integrand varies

1. What is a definite integral?

A definite integral is a mathematical concept that represents the signed area under a curve between two points on a graph. It is a fundamental tool in calculus and is used to calculate various quantities such as displacement, velocity, and acceleration.

2. How does the integrand affect the limit of a definite integral?

The integrand, which is the function being integrated, determines the overall shape and behavior of the definite integral. As the integrand varies, the limit of the definite integral may also change, leading to different results.

3. What is the importance of understanding the limit of a definite integral?

Understanding the limit of a definite integral is crucial in many fields of science and engineering, as it allows us to calculate and analyze various physical quantities and phenomena. It is also a fundamental concept in higher-level mathematics courses such as differential equations and multivariable calculus.

4. How is the limit of a definite integral calculated?

The limit of a definite integral can be calculated using various methods, such as the Riemann sum or the fundamental theorem of calculus. The specific method used depends on the complexity of the integrand and the problem at hand.

5. Can the limit of a definite integral be infinite?

Yes, the limit of a definite integral can be infinite if the integrand approaches infinity or if the limits of integration are infinite. This can occur in cases where the function being integrated has a vertical asymptote or is unbounded.