Proof for the Hermitian operator

In summary, the conversation is discussing how to prove a statement involving an operator and a set of functions. The attempt at a solution involves using the standard deviation definition and the hermicity of the operator, but the speaker gets stuck. Another person suggests using the completeness relation and the complex relation for the left-hand side. The person apologizes for their language barrier and the conversation continues with further explanations.
abcs22
1. Homework Statement prove the following statement:
Hello, can someone help me prove this statement

PzXRBBp.jpg

A is hermitian and {|Ψi>} is a full set of functions

Homework Equations

Σ<r|A|s> <s|B|c>[/B]

The Attempt at a Solution

Since the right term of the equation reminds of the standard deviation, I tried using its definition but it didn't yield any results. Also, I tried to use the hermicity of the operator A to get the complete set but after that I got stuck.

Physics news on Phys.org
This is prety simple if you assume ##\psi_i## form a basis for the Hilbert space of states. Just use the complex relation ##|z|^2=z z^*## for the left hand side, and use the completeness relation for ##\psi_i##. Is this what you meant by a full set of functions?

Yes, I did, I apologize, English is not my mother language. I tried but I can't get those two terms on the right side

abcs22 said:
Yes, I did, I apologize, English is not my mother language. I tried but I can't get those two terms on the right side
No problem. The two terms come as a property of the summation. The completeness relation assumes you sum over all ##i##. The first term comes from the completeness relation. The second term comes from the fact that you are missing the ##i=j## in the summation on the left hand side. The key equation you need to use is
$$
\langle \psi_j | A^2 | \psi_j \rangle=\sum_i \langle \psi_j | A | \psi_i \rangle \langle \psi_i | A | \psi_j \rangle
$$

Related to Proof for the Hermitian operator

1. What is a Hermitian operator?

A Hermitian operator is a mathematical concept used in quantum mechanics to describe the observable properties of a physical system. It is a linear operator that is equal to its own adjoint, meaning that its transpose is equal to its complex conjugate.

2. How is a Hermitian operator represented mathematically?

A Hermitian operator is represented by a matrix with complex entries. The entries of the matrix must satisfy the condition that the matrix is equal to its own transpose conjugate, meaning that the values on the main diagonal are real and the off-diagonal values are complex conjugates of each other.

3. What is the significance of a Hermitian operator in quantum mechanics?

In quantum mechanics, Hermitian operators correspond to observable physical properties such as energy, position, and momentum. This means that the eigenvalues of a Hermitian operator represent the possible outcomes of a measurement of the physical property it represents.

4. How is the Hermiticity of an operator tested?

To determine if an operator is Hermitian, we can use the Hermitian conjugate operator. If the operator and its Hermitian conjugate are equal, then the operator is Hermitian. This can also be represented mathematically as A† = A, where A is the operator and A† is its Hermitian conjugate.

5. What is the physical significance of the eigenvalues and eigenvectors of a Hermitian operator?

The eigenvalues of a Hermitian operator represent the possible outcomes of a measurement of the corresponding physical property. The eigenvectors of a Hermitian operator represent the state of the system in which the measurement of the corresponding property will yield a specific eigenvalue with certainty. In other words, the eigenvectors are the states in which the physical property has a definite value.