Proof: Determinant of 3 Non-Colinear Points is 0

In summary, the discussion focuses on the determinantal condition for defining a plane using points in $\Bbb R^3$. This means that the determinant is zero when expanded along the first row, giving the equation of a plane. It is also noted that any point on this plane satisfies the equation, and the coefficients $A, B, C$ form a vector normal to the plane. The discussion also touches on the uniqueness of the solution for determining the coefficients of the plane, with the conclusion that the system is independent and only the trivial solution exists.
Dethrone
View attachment 4291

I understand the intuition behind it, but I'm unable to prove it. Essentially, three non-colinear points define a plane, and so by adding one more point on the plane, it becomes dependent. This means that the determinant is 0, since there is probably a dependent row lying around. Also, how is that determinant even set up in the first place?

Any ideas?

Attachments

• determinant 2.PNG
    determinant 2.PNG
    7.2 KB · Views: 60
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Rido12,

Here are some things to keep in mind. Let $x,y,z$ range over $\Bbb R$, so we may consider the determinantal condition as an equation in $\Bbb R^3$. By expansion of the determinant along the first row, you can see that it gives the equation of a plane. Note that if you substitute any of the points $(x_i,y_i,z_i)$ for $(x,y,z)$, the determinant is zero. Therefore, all three points lie in the plane. On the other hand, let $Ax + By + Cz + D = 0$ be the equation of plane containing the points $(x_i,y_i,z_i)$. If $(x_0,y_0,z_0)$ lies on this plane, then $\mathbf{X}\mathbf{v} = \mathbf{0}$, where $\mathbf{X}$ is the matrix

$$\begin{bmatrix}x_0&y_0&z_0&1\\
x_1&y_1&z_1&1\\
x_2&y_2&z_2&1\\
x_3&y_3&z_3&1\\
\end{bmatrix}$$

and $\mathbf{v}$ is the matrix

$$\begin{bmatrix}A\\B\\C\\D\end{bmatrix}$$

Since $\mathbf{v} \neq \mathbf{0}$, it is a nontrivial solution of the homogenous system $\mathbf{X}\mathbf{u} = \mathbf{0}$, and hence $\operatorname{det}(X) = 0$.

Hi Euge!

That all makes sense, but how can we show that $\mathbf{v}$ is a non-trivial solution? I guess that would be equivalent to showing it is not invertible, or has dependent rows/columns?

Last edited:
Consider that the coefficients $A, B, C$ form a vector normal to the plane. The unit normal to the plane exists because the vector from $(x_1, y_1, z_1)$ to $(x_2, y_2, z_2)$ is linearly independent from the vector from $(x_1, y_1, z_1)$ to $(x_3, y_3, z_3)$.

That makes sense, but I'm thinking I'm not grasping some other aspects related to this question. Suppose we only had three points and wanted to determine the coefficients of the plane Ax+By+Cx+D=0 that passed through those three points. That is equivalent to solving $Xv=0$, where $X$ is:

$\begin{bmatrix}
x_1&y_1&z_1&1\\
x_2&y_2&z_2&1\\
x_3&y_3&z_3&1\\
\end{bmatrix}$

and $v$:

$\begin{bmatrix}A\\B\\C\\D\end{bmatrix}$

But seeing as the system is independent, then only the trivial solution exists ($A=B=C=D=0$). Shouldn't there also be a unique solution (i.e $A=4,B=-1,C=5,D=-4 \implies 4x-1y+5z=4$ whereby $(x_i,y_i,z_i)$ are satisfied for all three points?)

Last edited:
The coefficients $ A, B, C, D $ were constant from the start. The goal is not to find the formula for the coefficients. The point is $(A, B, C)$ is nonzero, and therefore $(A, B, C, D)$ is nonzero.

Related to Proof: Determinant of 3 Non-Colinear Points is 0

1. What is a determinant?

A determinant is a mathematical concept used to determine if a set of linear equations has a unique solution. It is a value calculated from the coefficients of the equations and can be used to solve systems of equations or determine if a set of points are collinear.

2. How is the determinant calculated?

The determinant of three non-colinear points can be calculated using the following formula: | x1 y1 1 | | x2 y2 1 | = (x1y2 + x2y3 + x3y1) - (x3y2 + x2y1 + x1y3).

3. Why is the determinant of three non-colinear points important?

The determinant of three non-colinear points being 0 indicates that the points lie on a straight line, making them collinear. This is a useful concept in geometry and can also be applied in fields such as computer graphics and physics.

4. Can the determinant of three non-colinear points be negative?

Yes, the determinant can be negative. The value of the determinant only indicates if the points are collinear or not, not the direction in which they lie.

5. How does the determinant of three non-colinear points relate to linear dependence?

The determinant of three non-colinear points being 0 indicates that the points are linearly dependent, meaning that they can be written as a linear combination of each other. This is because the determinant being 0 means that the equations formed by the points have infinitely many solutions.