Proof concerning similarity between matrices of Linear Transformations

In summary, the bases B and B' for vector V exist only if there is an invertible linear operator U on V such that T = USU-1.
WiFO215

Homework Statement

Let V be a finite dimensional vector space over the field F and let S and T be linear operators on V. We ask: When do there exist ordered bases B and B' for V such that B = [T]B'? Prove that such bases exist only if there is an invertible linear operator U on V such that T = USU-1.

The Attempt at a Solution

I have a hand-waiving argument and am not too sure of what to do.

Assume that T = USU-1.

Multiplying both sides from the left by U-1.

You have U-1T = SU-1.

Now since S, U and T are functions, let's "plug in" a vector whose co-ordinates are from B', say Y.

U-1T (Y) = SU-1 (Y)

T will "act on" Y since it is from B' using its respective matrix and the U-1 will take it from B' to B after it has been transformed. On the right hand side, the vector Y comes in, gets converted to a vector in B by being "acted on" by U. Then it will be transformed by S. Now the two vectors on either side are equal to each other, so effectively, their co-ordinate matrices from B and B' will be equal and so [T]B' = B.

Apart from this vague line of thinking, I don't know where to start on a formal proof. Please and thank you.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
It's probably not going to be clear to everyone what _B=[T]_B' means. You do mean the matrix of S in the basis B is the same as the matrix of T over the basis B', right?

I'm sorry. Yes I do mean the matrix of S in basis B and that of T in B'. I see that notation used in Hoffman and Kunze so I thought it was universal notation. My mistake.

There is no such thing as "universal" notation! Always explain your notation.

Remember that a linear transformation may have many different matrix representations for different bases. In fact, if two matrices are "similar" if and only if they represent the same linear transformation in different bases. Suppose v is a vector, let [itex]v_B[/itex] represent its column-matrix representation in basis B and [itex]v_{B'}[/itex] represent its column-matrix representation in basis B'. Can you show that [itex]T(v)_{B'}[/itex] and [itex]S(v)_{B}[/itex] represent the same vector?

Oh I see. You are saying S and T represent the same transformation in different bases as T = USU-1? So then I suppose I could show T[v]B' = S[v]B.

So this would be the proof:

Since T and S do pretty much the same thing, but only catch is they do whatever they do on different bases. So when you plug in vector V with respect to B' to T or with respect to B to S, you land up with the same vector. Since I land up with the same vector on either side, I can argue that the co-ordinate matrix of V with respect to B' multiplied with the co-ordinate matrix of T in B' is the same as the co-ordinate matrix of V with respect to B' multiplied by the matrix of S with respect to B.

Am I correct?

Anyone?

Just make you 'vague' line of thinking less vague. Pick a basis B=<b1,...,bn>. So Sbi=s_1i*b1+s_2i*b2+...+s_ni*bn. If S=U^(-1)TU, can you show the matrix of T is the same in the basis B'=<Ub1...Ubn>.

Hurray! Yes I can! Yes I can! Thanks Dick and Halls!

Related to Proof concerning similarity between matrices of Linear Transformations

1. What is a linear transformation?

A linear transformation is a mathematical function that maps one vector space to another in a way that preserves the operations of addition and scalar multiplication. In other words, it is a function that transforms a set of points in one space to a set of points in another space while maintaining the same structure.

2. How are matrices used to represent linear transformations?

Matrices are used to represent linear transformations by expressing the transformation as a combination of basic transformations, such as rotations, reflections, and scaling. Each basic transformation is represented by a specific matrix, and the overall transformation is represented by the product of these matrices.

3. What is the proof for similarity between matrices of linear transformations?

The proof for similarity between matrices of linear transformations is based on the fact that similar matrices represent the same linear transformation under different bases. This means that the transformation can be expressed as a different combination of basic transformations, but the overall effect remains the same.

4. How do you determine if two matrices represent similar linear transformations?

To determine if two matrices represent similar linear transformations, you can check if they have the same eigenvalues and eigenvectors. If they do, then they are similar. Alternatively, you can perform a change of basis on one matrix to see if it becomes equal to the other matrix.

5. How is the similarity between matrices of linear transformations useful?

The similarity between matrices of linear transformations is useful in many areas of mathematics and science, such as in solving systems of linear equations, analyzing the behavior of dynamical systems, and understanding the properties of geometric transformations. It also allows for easier computation and manipulation of matrices, as similar matrices have the same properties and can be transformed in the same way.