Proof concerning infinite sets

In summary: I haven't read much yet about infinite sets, so I can't give any formal definition. But I'm inclined to think that an infinite set is a set where one can never end enumerating different elements; for example, the set of integers and the set of real numbers. I also think that the difference between the set of integers and the set of real numbers is that the set of real numbers is uncountable, so that an interval from an integer to another in the set of integers (for example, 0 and 2) is a finite set ({0, 1, 2}), but an interval between two different real numbers is an infinite set (for example,...,infinity).
pc2-brazil
Good evening,

I was self-studying from a Discrete Mathematics book, and I ran across a question about infinite sets.
Homework Statement
The exercise asked to show that a set S is infinite if and only if there is a proper subset A of S such that there is a one-to-one correspondence between A and S.
(Here, "one-to-one correspondence between A and S" refers to a function from A to S that is bijective, that is, both one-to-one (injective) and onto (surjective).)
The attempt at a solution
After a little research, I thought of a way to do this proof, but I don't know if it is correct and consistent.
As it is an if and only if proposition (p is true if and only if q is true), I have to proof both directions of the statement (that is, I have to show that p is true if q is true and that q is true if p is true). So, the solution has two parts.
The attempt is below:
Part 1: A set S is infinite if there is a proper subset A of S such that there is a one-to-one correspondence between A and S.
I will try to show its contrapositive instead. I will try to show that: If a set S is not infinite (i.e., if S is finite), then there is not a proper subset A of S such that there is a one-to-one correspondence between A and S.
Suppose that a set S is finite and has m elements. A proper subset A of S, by definition, is a subset of S but is not equal to S. Then, it may not contain more than (m-1) elements (since the set S must contain at least 1 element that does not belong to its subset A). Therefore, there is not a one-to-one correspondence between A and S, because m-1 elements can't be mapped to m elements, as each element in a domain can't be mapped to more than one element in a codomain.
Part 2: If a set S is infinite, then there is a proper subset A of S such that there is a one-to-one correspondence between A and S.
Suppose that S is an infinite set. Then, there is a proper subset A of S which is also infinite. As both A and S are infinite, A has no less elements than S does. It means that there will always be an element in A which can be mapped to a particular element in S (so that there is a one-to-one correspondence). This is different from the other situation (in which S and A are both finite), in which A had less elements than S.

Thank you in advance.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
That's a good try. Part 1 looks ok. But saying "As both A and S are infinite, A has no less elements than S does." is a very naive statement when you are talking about infinite sets. Do you know the Cantor diagonal argument? Do you know the set of all subsets of the integers has more elements than the integers even though both are infinite? I'd look that up and then rethink Part 2. You need to be more specific about the subset you are thinking of. You might also want to look up the DEFINITION of 'infinite'.

Last edited:
Dick said:
That's a good try. Part 1 looks ok. But saying "As both A and S are infinite, A has no less elements than S does." is a very naive statement when you are talking about infinite sets. Do you know the Cantor diagonal argument? Do you know the set of all subsets of the integers has more elements than the integers even though both are infinite? I'd look that up and then rethink Part 2. You need to be more specific about the subset you are thinking of. You might also want to look up the DEFINITION of 'infinite'.
Thank you for your response.
The following section of the book I'm using talks about Cantor's diagonal argument. I will get to it soon, and, when I do, I will try to rethink Part 2.

What, exactly, is your definition of "infinite" set?

HallsofIvy said:
What, exactly, is your definition of "infinite" set?
I haven't read much yet about infinite sets, so I can't give any formal definition. But I'm inclined to think that an infinite set is a set where one can never end enumerating different elements; for example, the set of integers and the set of real numbers. I also think that the difference between the set of integers and the set of real numbers is that the set of real numbers is uncountable, so that an interval from an integer to another in the set of integers (for example, 0 and 2) is a finite set ({0, 1, 2}), but an interval between two different real numbers is an infinite set (for example, (0,2)).

Last edited:
pc2-brazil said:
I haven't read much yet about infinite sets, so I can't give any formal definition. But I'm inclined to think that an infinite set is a set where one can never end enumerating different elements; for example, the set of integers and the set of real numbers. I also think that the difference between the set of integers and the set of real numbers is that the set of real numbers is uncountable, so that an interval from an integer to another in the set of integers (for example, 0 and 2) is a finite set ({0, 1, 2}), but an interval between two different real numbers is an infinite set (for example, (0,2)).

One common definition is that an infinite set is a set that has a proper subset that is in one-to-one correspondence with the set. That makes your proof easy. Another is to define a finite set and then say an infinite set is one that is not finite. That makes it a little trickier. You'll have a hard time proving this without knowing the formal definition of 'infinite set'.

Related to Proof concerning infinite sets

1. What are infinite sets?

An infinite set is a set that has an unending number of elements. This means that the set cannot be counted or exhausted completely.

2. How do you prove that a set is infinite?

To prove that a set is infinite, you can use the method of contradiction. This involves assuming that the set is finite and then showing that there must be an element in the set that has not been counted, which contradicts the assumption that the set is finite. Another way to prove that a set is infinite is by demonstrating that it can be put into a one-to-one correspondence with a known infinite set, such as the natural numbers.

3. Can an infinite set be equal to another infinite set?

No, two infinite sets cannot be equal to each other. This is because the concept of equality is based on one-to-one correspondence, and if two sets have different numbers of elements, they cannot be put into a one-to-one correspondence with each other.

4. What is the difference between a countable and uncountable infinite set?

A countable infinite set is one that can be put into a one-to-one correspondence with the natural numbers. This means that the elements of the set can be counted and listed in a specific order. On the other hand, an uncountable infinite set is one that cannot be counted or put into a one-to-one correspondence with the natural numbers. Examples of uncountable infinite sets include the real numbers and the set of all subsets of a given set.

5. How do infinite sets relate to the concept of infinity?

Infinite sets are used to define and understand the concept of infinity. The size or cardinality of an infinite set is considered to be infinite, and this is used to describe the idea of something being without limit or unending. Additionally, the study of infinite sets has led to the development of different types of infinity, such as countable and uncountable infinity.