Proof By Induction: Proving Divisibility of 3^2n-1 by 8

In summary: Hi Deveno,Sorry for repositing your soultion.. I should read the comment first as I fast scroll I just saw inderect proof.. I Kinda for some reason like doing induction proof for this kind of problem, sorry I Will not repeat this again!Thanks for latex tips! I had no clue about them but now I know and I Will now start to use them!Edit: if you want here is how you do with modulo,3^{2n}=9^n and if we take modulo, let's say ; is that modulo sign as I forgot the latex code:/9^n;1^n (mod 8) and 1^n=1
shen07
Hello Guys can you tell me how do i go about this question:

Question
Prove by Induction that for every positive integer n.
$$3^{2n} -1$$ is divisible by 8

Physics news on Phys.org
Here is a start:

$3^{2(n+1)} - 1 = 3^{2n+2} - 1 = (3^{2n} - 1)(3^2) + 3^2 - 1$

shen07 said:

Question

Remembering that...

$\displaystyle \sum_{k=0}^{n} x^{n}= \frac{x^{n+1}-1}{x-1} \implies x^{n+1}-1 = (x-1)\ \sum_{k=0}^{n} x^{n}\ (1)$

... and that...

$\displaystyle 3^{2 n +2}-1 = (3^{n+1}-1)\ (3^{n+1}+1)\ (2)$

... it is evident that the expression (2) contains both 3-1 and 3+1 so that is divisible by 8...

Kind regards

$\chi$ $\sigma$

chisigma said:
Remembering that...

$\displaystyle \sum_{k=0}^{n} x^{n}= \frac{x^{n+1}-1}{x-1} \implies x^{n+1}-1 = (x-1)\ \sum_{k=0}^{n} x^{n}\ (1)$

... and that...

$\displaystyle 3^{2 n +2}-1 = (3^{n+1}-1)\ (3^{n+1}+1)\ (2)$

... it is evident that the expression (2) contains both 3-1 and 3+1 so that is divisible by 8...

Kind regards

$\chi$ $\sigma$

That is a very good DIRECT proof, but does not use induction.

Another direct proof:

$3^{2n+2} - 1 = (3^2 - 1)(3^{2n} + 3^{2n - 2} + \cdots + 3^2 + 1)$

where it is evident that $3^2 - 1 = 8$ divides the RHS.

Nicely done, Denevo! (Clapping)

shen07 said:

Question
Just asume \(\displaystyle 3^{2n}-1\) is divided by 8
and for k+1
\(\displaystyle 3^{2(k+1)}-1\)
\(\displaystyle 3^{2k}•9-1\) and replace that -1 with +8-9
\(\displaystyle 3^{2k}•9-9+8\) factour out 9 from \(\displaystyle 3^{2k}•9-9\), can you finish?

Regards,
\(\displaystyle |\pi\rangle\)

Petrus said:
Just asume \(\displaystyle 3^{2n}-1\) is divided by 8
and for k+1
\(\displaystyle 3^{2(k+1)}-1\)
\(\displaystyle 3^{2k}•9-1\) and replace that -1 with +8-9
\(\displaystyle 3^{2k}•9-9+8\) factour out 9 from \(\displaystyle 3^{2k}•9-9\), can you finish?

Regards,

Indeed, that is what I was hinting at with post #2, except I wrote "9" as "$3^2$" and "8" as "$3^2 - 1$" to make the inductive nature a bit more transparent.

(By the way, you can use the command \ast in latex to make an asterisk (star) for "multiply" instead of using a text bullet point. If you prefer a simple dot, the command \cdot (center dot) works well also).

Deveno said:
Indeed, that is what I was hinting at with post #2, except I wrote "9" as "$3^2$" and "8" as "$3^2 - 1$" to make the inductive nature a bit more transparent.

(By the way, you can use the command \ast in latex to make an asterisk (star) for "multiply" instead of using a text bullet point. If you prefer a simple dot, the command \cdot (center dot) works well also).
Hi Deveno,
Sorry for repositing your soultion.. I should read the comment first as I fast scroll I just saw inderect proof.. I Kinda for some reason like doing induction proof for this kind of problem, sorry I Will not repeat this again!

Thanks for latex tips! I had no clue about them but now I know and I Will now start to use them!
Edit: if you want here is how you do with modulo,
\(\displaystyle 3^{2n}=9^n\) and if we take modulo, let's say \(\displaystyle ;\) is that modulo sign as I forgot the latex code:/
\(\displaystyle 9^n;1^n\) (mod 8) and \(\displaystyle 1^n=1\)
and by showing modulo equal to zero it's mean it's divided
\(\displaystyle 3^{2n}-1;1-1=0\)
It's morning I Hope the fast show is enough:S for some reason I just starten to think about this problem-.-
Regards,

Last edited:

Related to Proof By Induction: Proving Divisibility of 3^2n-1 by 8

1. How does proof by induction work?

Proof by induction is a mathematical technique used to prove a statement for all natural numbers. It involves proving the statement for a base case, typically n=1, and then showing that if the statement holds for some arbitrary value of n, it also holds for n+1. This process is repeated until the statement has been proven for all natural numbers.

2. What is the statement being proved in this particular proof by induction?

The statement being proved in this proof by induction is that for all natural numbers n, 3^(2n-1) is divisible by 8.

3. Why is it important to prove this statement?

This statement is important because it is a fundamental property of divisibility and can be applied to various mathematical problems and proofs. It also helps to build a foundation for understanding more complex concepts in mathematics.

4. What is the role of the base case in proof by induction?

The base case serves as the starting point for the proof and is used to show that the statement holds for the first natural number. In this proof, the base case is when n=1, and we must show that 3^(2*1-1)=3 is divisible by 8, which is true.

5. How does the inductive step prove the statement for all natural numbers?

The inductive step involves assuming that the statement holds for some arbitrary value of n, and then using this assumption to show that the statement also holds for n+1. By repeating this process, we can prove that the statement holds for all natural numbers, as each value of n+1 can be traced back to the base case and the previous value of n.