Proof about the decomposition of the reals into two sets.

In summary, the preposition states that there is a unique real number β such that all real numbers less than β are in S and all real numbers greater than β are in T. To prove this, we can use the theorems of "greatest lower bound" and "least upper bound" of sets of numbers. We know that T is bounded below and S is bounded above. By comparing the least/greatest bounds, we can show that there exists a supremum for S and an infimum for T, resulting in a unique value for β. Therefore, the preposition is true.
thenthanable

Homework Statement

Let S and T be nonempty sets of real numbers such that every real number is in S or T and if s [itex]\in[/itex] S and t [itex]\in[/itex] T, then s < t. Prove that there is a unique real number β such that every real number less than β is in S and every real number greater than β is in T.

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried a proof by contradiction, but I started with the assumption that the preposition was true (not sure if that is OK). I haven't had a formal introduction into proof-writing. I'm 3 weeks into my calculus course and that was one of the exercises given in the TB.

The preposition states that S has a sup β, and T has an inf β, where β is a unique real number.

Suppose that β does not exist. Thus S does not have a supremum, and is not bounded above. T does not have an infimum, and is not bounded below. Thus both S and T are the set of real numbers.

Therefore, there exists an so and a to such that So > To.

I would really appreciate comments because like I said I'm completely new to this stuff. :(

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you have theorems about "greatest lower bound" or "least upper bounds" of sets of numbers? Such as "if a set of real numbers has an upper bound then it has a least upper bound (supremum)" or "if a set of real numbers has a lower bound then it has a greatest lower bound (infimum)". Those are what you need.

We know that T is bounded below and S is bounded above - how?

Then we can get onto comparing least/greatest bounds as applicable...

Related to Proof about the decomposition of the reals into two sets.

1. What is the proof about the decomposition of the reals into two sets?

The proof about the decomposition of the reals into two sets is a mathematical proof that shows that the set of real numbers can be divided into two distinct, non-overlapping sets. This proof is based on the concept of the Axiom of Choice, which states that given a collection of non-empty sets, it is possible to choose one element from each set to form a new set.

2. Why is the decomposition of the reals into two sets important?

The decomposition of the reals into two sets has many important implications in mathematics. One of the most significant is its use in the construction of the real numbers, which is a fundamental concept in calculus and analysis. This proof also has applications in other areas of mathematics, such as topology and measure theory.

3. How was the proof of the decomposition of the reals into two sets discovered?

The proof of the decomposition of the reals into two sets was first discovered by the mathematician Georg Cantor in the late 19th century. Cantor's work on the Axiom of Choice and his development of set theory were crucial in the development of this proof.

4. What are the two sets that the reals can be decomposed into?

The decomposition of the reals into two sets is often referred to as the "fat" and "skinny" set. The fat set contains all irrational numbers, while the skinny set contains all rational numbers. This means that every real number can be classified as either irrational or rational.

5. Is the decomposition of the reals into two sets unique?

Yes, the decomposition of the reals into two sets is unique. This means that there is only one way to divide the set of real numbers into two non-overlapping sets using the Axiom of Choice. This unique decomposition is a fundamental concept in mathematics and has been proven to be consistent with other axioms and theories.