Projectile Motion without the Angle

In summary, the individual is struggling with a projectile motion problem where they know the initial velocity and distance traveled, but cannot solve it without the angle of firing. After an hour of attempting to solve it, they realize they had forgotten some basic trigonometric identities that ultimately helped them find a solution.
SHISHKABOB

Homework Statement

Hi guys, I'm trying to start from scratch on figuring out the projectile motion problem. But I think I've hit a roadblock. I am trying to solve a problem where I gave myself initial velocity and how far the object travels, but I can't seem to find a way to solve this without knowing the angle that the object was fired at.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I've been scribbling away at this for about an hour and I don't think I've really gotten anywhere.

Physics news on Phys.org
oops, nevermind, figured it out

I forgot some simple trig identities that helped me out

Related to Projectile Motion without the Angle

1. What is projectile motion without the angle?

Projectile motion without the angle refers to the motion of an object that is launched into the air without any initial angle or direction. This means that the object is only affected by the force of gravity and its initial velocity.

2. What is the formula for calculating projectile motion without the angle?

The formula for calculating projectile motion without the angle is x = v0t, where x is the horizontal distance traveled, v0 is the initial velocity, and t is the time elapsed.

3. Can an object have projectile motion without the angle?

Yes, an object can have projectile motion without the angle as long as it is given an initial velocity and is only affected by the force of gravity.

4. How is the trajectory of an object in projectile motion without the angle affected by the initial velocity?

The initial velocity determines the speed at which the object is launched and therefore affects the horizontal distance traveled. A higher initial velocity will result in a longer horizontal distance.

5. What are some real-life examples of projectile motion without the angle?

Some real-life examples of projectile motion without the angle include a ball being dropped from a high building, a bullet fired straight up into the air, and a rocket launched into space.