Projectile motion with air resistance

In summary, the conversation discusses the development of a program for motion with air resistance, specifically focusing on the challenges of incorporating mass into the equations. One solution proposed is to use a constant ratio of k/m, simplifying the calculations. Additionally, it is mentioned that the program only allows for input of the horizontal and vertical velocity components.
denham
Hey guys, I am in the process of writing a program for pmotion with air resistance that is proportional to the velocity squared and I've hit a stump. In my program it simulates the path of the ball by changing the time and putting it into the equation and plotting it on a graph. My problem is all the equations i have found using air resistance has mass. I know this question is not 100% physics but if anyone could help It would be greatly appreciated

The program allows only the input of the horizontal velocity component and the vertical velocity component

Thanks

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You have Fd=-kv², and you have ƩF=ma. All that really affects the motion here is the ratio k/m. Call it some constant c=k/m, and then you don't have to worry about the mass.

By the way, in 1D, you can solve for v(t) directly.

Related to Projectile motion with air resistance

1. What is projectile motion with air resistance?

Projectile motion with air resistance is a type of motion in which an object is launched into the air and follows a curved path due to the influence of gravity and air resistance. As the object moves through the air, it is affected by the force of air resistance, which slows it down and causes it to deviate from its initial trajectory.

2. How does air resistance affect the trajectory of a projectile?

Air resistance acts in the opposite direction of the motion of the object and increases as the speed of the object increases. This causes the projectile to slow down and fall at a steeper angle, resulting in a shorter range and lower peak height compared to a projectile with no air resistance.

3. What factors affect the amount of air resistance on a projectile?

The amount of air resistance on a projectile depends on several factors, including the shape and size of the object, the density of the air, and the speed and direction of the object's motion. Objects with larger surface areas and higher speeds will experience greater air resistance.

4. How can air resistance be calculated in projectile motion?

Air resistance can be calculated using the drag equation, which takes into account the density of the air, the velocity of the object, and the object's cross-sectional area. However, due to the complex nature of air resistance, it is often estimated using simplified models or experimental data.

5. How does air resistance affect the accuracy of predicting projectile motion?

Air resistance can significantly affect the accuracy of predicting projectile motion, especially for objects with high speeds or large surface areas. Neglecting air resistance can result in significant errors in predicting the range, height, and landing point of a projectile. Therefore, it is important to consider air resistance in projectile motion calculations for more accurate results.