Projectile Motion with air resistance - need help

In summary, for a projectile fired vertically in a constant gravitational field, the time required to reach its maximum height is given by t = -v0/a, where v0 is the initial velocity and a is the acceleration due to gravity. For a resisting force proportional to the instantaneous velocity of the projectile, the correct equation is dv/dt = (kv - mg)/m, with the initial condition v(t=0) = v0.
don_anon25
Projectile Motion with air resistance -- need urgent help

Consider a projectile fired vertically in a constant gravitational field. For the same inital velocities, compare the times required for the projectile to reach its maximum height (a) for zero resisting force and (b) for a resisting force proportional to the instantaneous velocity of the projectile.

For a, I get t=-v0/a.
For b, I have the equation F= m dv/dt=kmv-mg, which leads me to
dv/dt=kv-g.
Is this correct...If so, I can take it from here.
If not what should it be?? What should my initial condition be to solve for the constant? Should it be v(t=0)=v0?

Thanks much!

Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for reaching out for help with your project on projectile motion with air resistance. I am happy to assist you with your questions.

Firstly, your approach for part a is correct. The time required for a projectile to reach its maximum height in the absence of air resistance is given by t = -v0/a, where v0 is the initial velocity and a is the acceleration due to gravity.

For part b, you are on the right track with your equation F = m dv/dt = kmv - mg. However, there is a small error in your derivation of dv/dt. It should be dv/dt = (kv - mg)/m. This is because the force due to air resistance, F, is equal to the mass of the object, m, multiplied by the change in velocity over time, dv/dt.

To solve for the constant k, you can use the initial condition v(t=0) = v0, as you suggested. This means that at the initial time, the velocity of the object is equal to the initial velocity, v0. You can then solve the differential equation dv/dt = (kv - mg)/m using standard techniques, such as separation of variables.

I hope this helps you with your project. Best of luck!

Dear student,

Thank you for reaching out for assistance with your project on projectile motion with air resistance. It is important to note that air resistance can significantly affect the motion of a projectile, especially when it is moving at high velocities. Therefore, it is essential to take it into consideration in your analysis.

To answer your first question, your equations for the projectile motion with air resistance are correct. For the equation F= m dv/dt=kmv-mg, the initial condition should be v(t=0)=v0, as you suggested. This initial condition will help you solve for the constant k in your equation dv/dt=kv-g.

To compare the times required for the projectile to reach its maximum height in the two scenarios, you can use the equations you have derived. For the case without air resistance, the time taken to reach maximum height can be calculated using the equation t=-v0/a. For the case with air resistance, you can use the equation v(t)=v0e^(-kt/m) to determine the time taken to reach maximum height. Once you have both values, you can compare them and see the effect of air resistance on the time of flight.

I hope this helps you in your analysis. If you have any further questions or need additional assistance, please do not hesitate to reach out.

Best of luck with your project!

Sincerely,

Related to Projectile Motion with air resistance - need help

1. What is projectile motion with air resistance?

Projectile motion with air resistance is a type of motion where an object or projectile is launched into the air and experiences the force of air resistance as it moves through the air. This force of air resistance is caused by the interaction between the object's surface and the air particles it moves through.

2. How does air resistance affect projectile motion?

Air resistance affects projectile motion by slowing down the object's motion as it moves through the air. This is because the force of air resistance acts in the opposite direction of the object's motion, reducing its speed and changing its trajectory.

3. What factors affect the amount of air resistance experienced by a projectile?

The amount of air resistance experienced by a projectile depends on several factors, including the object's shape, size, and surface texture. The density and viscosity of the air, as well as the velocity and angle of the projectile's motion, also play a role in determining the amount of air resistance.

4. How is air resistance accounted for in projectile motion equations?

Air resistance is typically accounted for in projectile motion equations by adding a term for the force of air resistance to the equation for net force. This term is typically proportional to the speed of the object and its surface area, and is often referred to as the drag force.

5. Can air resistance be ignored in projectile motion calculations?

In most real-world scenarios, air resistance cannot be ignored in projectile motion calculations. This is because air resistance can have a significant impact on the motion of an object, especially over long distances or at high speeds. However, in some cases, such as when objects are very small or moving at low speeds, air resistance may be negligible and can be ignored in calculations.