Projectile Motion Time Calculation for Big Bertha Gun in World War I

In summary, during World War I, the German army used a large gun called "Big Bertha" to bombard Paris with shells at an initial velocity of 1.1 x 10^3 m/s at a 45 degree angle. Using the equation x = x0 + v0t + .5at^2, the time each shell was airborne can be calculated assuming the launch point and landing point were the same. The y component of the initial velocity and the acceleration of gravity are needed to solve for time.
andrewi7

Homework Statement

7. During World War I, the German army bombarded Paris
with a huge gun referred to, by the Allied Forces, as “Big
Bertha.” Assume that Big Bertha fired shells with an initial
velocity of 1.1 x 10^3 m/s [45° above the horizontal].

(a) How long was each shell airborne, if the launch point was the same as the landing point

Homework Equations

dy = v1xT+1/2ax X t^2

The Attempt at a Solution

v1 = 1.1 x 10^3
a= -9.81
t = ?

Physics news on Phys.org
I assume "by the same point as the landing point" means the same y coordinate. If the point was the same the gun would be firing straight up.

Anyway, since the gun is at a 45 degree angle, you can find the y component of the initial velocity, and you know the acceleration of gravity. Just use the equation x = x0 + v0t + .5at^2 to solve for t.

What would x equal

t = Squared root x-.5(-9.81)

thanks in advance

Related to Projectile Motion Time Calculation for Big Bertha Gun in World War I

1. What is projectile motion?

Projectile motion is the movement of an object through the air or space under the influence of gravity. The path of the object is known as its trajectory, and it follows a curved path called a parabola.

2. How does a projectile motion gun work?

A projectile motion gun, also known as a ballistic gun or a projectile launcher, uses the principles of projectile motion to launch an object at a specific angle and velocity. The gun applies a force to the object, causing it to move through the air and follow a parabolic trajectory.

3. What factors affect projectile motion?

The factors that affect projectile motion include the initial velocity of the object, the angle at which it is launched, the mass of the object, and the force of gravity. Other factors such as air resistance and wind can also have an impact on the trajectory of the object.

4. How can I calculate the range of a projectile motion gun?

The range of a projectile motion gun can be calculated using the formula R = v²sin(2θ)/g, where R is the range, v is the initial velocity, θ is the launch angle, and g is the acceleration due to gravity. Keep in mind that this formula assumes a flat, horizontal surface and no air resistance.

5. Are there any real-life applications of projectile motion guns?

Projectile motion guns have many practical uses, including in sports such as javelin throwing and long jump. They are also used in military and law enforcement training, as well as in scientific experiments and demonstrations.