Projectile Motion & Theta: Finding Tan (Theta) Using Equations of Motion

In summary, the problem involves a projectile launched from point O at an angle theta to the horizontal. The projectile clears two obstacles of height h at horizontal distances d and 2d from O. The goal is to show that tan(theta) = 3h/2d. By relating theta to d and h and using the equation for the parabola trajectory, a pair of simultaneous equations is formed. Solving for h and combining the equations, it is shown that tan(theta) = 3h/2d.
DCC01

Homework Statement

A projectile is launched from O with speed u at angle theta to the horizontal. In its subsequent trajectory it just clears two obstacles of height h at horizontal distances d and 2d from O, respectively.

http://img403.imageshack.us/img403/4369/projectile.jpg

Show that tan (theta) = 3h/2d

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I do not see anyway to get tan (theta) here. From class I have the following equations:

Solution of the equation of motion:
r(t)=(utcos(theta))i + (utsin(theta) - ½gt²)j

trajectory is parabola with equation:

y=xtan(theta)-x²(g/2u²)(1+tan²(theta))

but I cannot see how I begin to find just tan(theta)

I just need to know where to start. My guess is I'm missing something that's taken to be 'obvious' but what my professor thinks is 'obvious' is usually obscure for me :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
You need to relate theta to d and h. You also have an equation for the parabola y(x). Start by saying that y is equal to h at x = d and x = 2d. That's the condition for "just clearing" the obstacles.

So I get a pair of simultaneous equations for h:

(1) h=(d)tan(theta)-(d)²(g/2u²)(1+tan²(theta))
(2) h=(2d)tan(theta)-4(d)²(g/2u²)(1+tan²(theta))

Multiply (1) by -4:

(1a) -4h=(-4d)tan(theta)+4(d)²(g/2u²)(1+tan²(theta))

Add (1a) and (2):

(3) -3h=(-2d)(tan(theta)) as required.

LDO :p

Related to Projectile Motion & Theta: Finding Tan (Theta) Using Equations of Motion

1. What is projectile motion?

Projectile motion refers to the motion of an object that is projected into the air and is influenced by both gravity and air resistance.

2. How does the angle of theta affect projectile motion?

The angle of theta, which is the angle at which the object is launched, affects the horizontal and vertical components of the object's velocity. This, in turn, affects the trajectory and distance of the object's motion.

3. How do you calculate the range of a projectile?

The range of a projectile is the horizontal distance traveled by the object. It can be calculated using the formula: R = v2 * sin(2*theta) / g, where v is the initial velocity, theta is the angle of launch, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

4. What is the maximum height reached by a projectile?

The maximum height reached by a projectile is called the peak height. It can be calculated using the formula: h = (v2 * sin2(theta)) / 2g, where v is the initial velocity, theta is the angle of launch, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

5. How does air resistance affect projectile motion?

Air resistance, also known as drag, affects the motion of a projectile by slowing it down as it moves through the air. This reduces the distance and height the projectile can travel. The amount of air resistance depends on the shape and size of the projectile, as well as the density of the air.