Projectile Motion Problem: Finding Distance and Collision between Two Particles

In summary: So I think there is a mistake in the problem.I think the problem should say ##v\sin\left( \theta\right) \,=\frac{1}{2}\,\sin\left( \alpha\right)##In summary, the problem involves two particles, one shot from point P and the other from point Q, both in the same horizontal plane at a distance d meters apart. The first particle is shot with a speed of v m/s at an angle θ, while the second particle is shot with a speed of 2 m/s at an angle α. The goal is to find the distance between the two particles when one is vertically above the other and prove that they collide if sin α = 1
FaraDazed

Homework Statement

Points P and Q are in the same horizontal plane at a distance d metres apart. A projectile is shot from P in the vertical plane through PQ towards Q with a speed v m/s at an angle θ. Simultaneously another particle is shot from Q in the same vertical plane towards P with a speed of 2m/s at an angle of elevation α .

Find an expression for the distance between the two particles when one is vertically above the other one and hence prove that they collide if [itex] sin \alpha = \frac{1}{2} sin\theta.[/itex]

If [itex]\theta= \frac{1}{3}\pi [/itex] prove that they collide at a point above the level of PQ if...
[tex]v^2 > \frac{gd(\sqrt{13}-1)}{6\sqrt{3}}[/tex]

Homework Equations

equations of motion

The Attempt at a Solution

I just don't know how to approach this one at all. I don't want to just be given the answer, just some advice or help in how to approach the problem and any assumptions would be very very much appreciated.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I cannot understand the setup. Is PQ the line joining P and Q ? Also, if P and Q are in a horizontal plane, how can P or Q be vertically above the other ?

Mentz114 said:
I cannot understand the setup. Is PQ the line joining P and Q ? Also, if P and Q are in a horizontal plane, how can P or Q be vertically above the other ?

I think that's what it means when it says PQ - being the line/distance joining the two. And, sorry about the second bit that was my fault copying the question down; P and Q are points on the plane, its the particles that are fired from P and Q that are/will be above each other.

Thanks

OK. You can find the the time when the projectiles are above each other by solving xP=xQ where

xP= vt cos(θ) and xQ= d-vt cos(α)

Does this help ?

[edit] I made a mistake, I've corrected it.

Thanks, isn't the x cordinate of a projectile in this situation generally speed*t as in [itex]v\cos(\theta) t[/itex] though?

If i set them both to equal each other though I would get stuck as there is nothing I can do to manipulate it, is there?

[tex]v\cos(\theta)=d-v\cos(\alpha)[/tex]

I'm sorry you got caught by my mistake. I've edited my post so you can find the time now, and plug it into the equations for y to get the heights.

You get the time from ##vt\cos(\theta)=d-vt\cos(\alpha)##

OK thank you.

I am stuck with the algebra side of it then I think as I cannot see how to extract t from that. Plus not knowing either of the angles is confusing the hell out of me, I suppose if t is found then the alpha angle could be found as it states the speed for that one (2m/s).

The value of t when the projectiles are at the same x is

##vt\cos(\theta)=d-2t\cos(\alpha)\ \ \rightarrow\ vt\cos(\theta)+2t\cos(\alpha)=d\ \ \rightarrow t_s=\frac{d}{v\cos(\theta)+2\cos(\alpha)}##

The y values are

##y_P=vt\sin(\theta),\ y_Q=2t\sin(\alpha)## put ##t_s## into these and then subtract them.
corrected in my next post

You need to do the algebra.

Last edited:
Likes 1 person
Mentz114 said:
The value of t when the projectiles are at the same x is

##vt\cos(\theta)=d-2t\cos(\alpha)\ \ \rightarrow\ vt\cos(\theta)+2t\cos(\alpha)=d\ \ \rightarrow t_s=\frac{d}{\cos(v\theta)+2\cos(\alpha)}##

The y values are

##y_P=vt\sin(\theta),\ y_Q=2t\sin(\alpha)## put ##t_s## into these and then subtract them.

You need to do the algebra.

Thanks for your help. :)

With the y values, doesn't gravity need to be accounted for?

FaraDazed said:
Thanks for your help. :)

With the y values, doesn't gravity need to be accounted for?
Yes. Sorry I'm making a lot of mistakes. The y equations (assuming that the initial height is 0) are

##y_P=\int(v\sin(\theta)-gt) dt=vt\sin(\theta)-(1/2)gt^2## and ##y_Q=\int(2\sin(\alpha)-gt)dt=2t\sin(\alpha)-(1/2)gt^2##

So the difference in height is ##vt\sin(\theta)-2t\sin(\alpha)## and the Y-values are equal (for t>0) only if ##v\sin\left( \theta\right) \,=2\,\sin\left( \alpha\right)## which is *not* what is given for this condition.

Last edited:
Likes 1 person

Related to Projectile Motion Problem: Finding Distance and Collision between Two Particles

What is projectile motion problem?

Projectile motion problem is a type of physics problem that involves calculating the motion of an object that is projected into the air and then falls under the influence of gravity. It is commonly used to calculate the trajectory of objects such as a thrown ball, a fired bullet, or a launched rocket.

What are the key equations used to solve projectile motion problems?

The key equations used to solve projectile motion problems are the equations of motion, including the distance equation (d = v*t), the velocity equation (v = u + at), and the acceleration equation (a = g). These equations take into account the initial velocity, the time of flight, and the acceleration due to gravity.

How do you determine the initial velocity in a projectile motion problem?

The initial velocity in a projectile motion problem can be determined using the equation v = u + at, where v is the final velocity, u is the initial velocity, a is the acceleration, and t is the time of flight. The initial velocity is typically given or can be calculated using the known values of the other variables.

What factors can affect the trajectory of a projectile?

The trajectory of a projectile can be affected by several factors, including the initial velocity, the angle of projection, the air resistance, and the gravitational force. The mass and shape of the object can also impact its trajectory.

How can projectile motion problems be applied in real life?

Projectile motion problems have many real-life applications, such as in sports, engineering, and military operations. For example, projectile motion is used to calculate the trajectory of a golf ball, to design a roller coaster, or to aim a missile. It is also used in ballistics to determine the range and accuracy of firearms.