Projectile motion finding initial speed of a ball pushed off a table

In summary, the ball was projected horizontally from a table that is 0.823 m high and hit the floor 1.44 m away from the base of the table. Using the formula x = xo + vot + .5at^2 and solving for time, we get t = .43 seconds. Then, dividing the horizontal distance of 1.44 m by the time of .43 seconds, we get an initial speed of the ball of 3.5 m/s. This can also be solved using trigonometry by using the formula x = v0cosθt, but this method is only applicable if the angle is known.
katielynn09
A ball is projected horizontally from the edge
of a table that is 0.823 m high, and it strikes
the floor at a point 1.44 m from the base of
the table.
The acceleration of gravity is 9.8 m/s2 .
What is the initial speed of the ball? An-
swer in units of m/s.

the table is .823 m high.
x = xo + vot+ .5at^2
x = .823 , xo = 0, vot = 0 (vertical speed is 0), a = 9.8 m/s2 and you solve for t
.823 m = .5(9.8 m/s2)t^2
t^2 = .1679 s
t = .41 sec

to find the intial speed you know the distance and the time
x = xo +vot+.5at^2
1.44 m = 0 m + vo(.41 s) + .5(9.8 m/s2)(.41 s)^2
you get vo = 1.5 m/s

I tried this but I did something wrong because i enter my homework online and it told me the answer i got was incorrect.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Gravity is directed downward, so why do you have the projectile accelerating horizontally in your calculation for v0?

Thanks! Your absolutely right that fixed it. I feel kinda dumb now. We just learned the verticle horizontal stuff so I'm still a bit confused and get flipped around. thanks again :)

use x=vicostheta t
anser is 3.5

First solve for time: t=sqrt of 2*height/g

t=sqrt of 2(.823)/9.8 = .43 secs. This is how long it takes to fall vertically, the horizontal and vertical are tied through time.

Given that the object travels 1.44m horizontally in .43 sec we can divide 1.44m by .43 secs to get 3.348 m/s or 3.5 m/s.

The Trig way works too! but if you don't have an angle use this method.

Related to Projectile motion finding initial speed of a ball pushed off a table

1. How do you calculate the initial speed of a ball pushed off a table?

The initial speed of a ball pushed off a table can be calculated using the equation v0 = √(2gh), where v0 is the initial velocity, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and h is the height of the table.

2. What is the formula for projectile motion?

The formula for projectile motion is x = v0t + (1/2)at2, where x is the horizontal distance traveled, v0 is the initial velocity, a is the acceleration due to gravity, and t is the time.

3. Can you use the same equation for finding the initial speed of a ball thrown horizontally?

Yes, the same equation can be used for finding the initial speed of a ball thrown horizontally. However, the value of h in the equation would be the initial height of the ball above the ground.

4. How does air resistance affect projectile motion?

Air resistance can affect projectile motion by slowing down the horizontal velocity of the object, causing it to take longer to reach the ground. However, for small objects like a ball, the effect of air resistance is usually negligible.

5. Can you find the initial speed of a ball pushed off a table without knowing the height of the table?

No, the height of the table is necessary to calculate the initial speed of the ball. Without knowing the height, it is not possible to determine the initial potential energy of the ball, which is needed to calculate the initial speed using the equation v0 = √(2gh).