Projectile Motion - Find intial velocity when given an angle?

In summary, the problem involves a cannonball being fired at an angle of 30° from a height of 38.4 m above the ground. It strikes the ground with a speed of 1.3 times its initial speed. Using the equations for velocity and position, it is possible to find the initial speed by setting up an equation using conservation of energy. The horizontal velocity remains constant and the vertical distance can be used to find the height or vertical velocity.
white_is

Homework Statement

A cannonball is fired with initial speed v0 at an angle 30° above the horizontal from a height of 38.4 m above the ground. The projectile strikes the ground with a speed of 1.3v0. Find v0. (Ignore any effects due to air resistance.)

Homework Equations

v= Vo + at

v^2 = Vo^2 + 2a(x-Xo)

x = Xo + Vot + .5at^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I honestly don't know where to start with this problem. I know it needs to be separated into X and Y components, but it just seems like I don't have enough information to do it.

I mean, what do I know?

x = ?
Xo = 0
Vx = ?
Vox = ? Vcos30 = 1.3Vocos30
Vx = ?
a = 0
t = ?

y = -38.4
Yo = 0
Vy = ?
Voy = ? Vsin30 = 1.3Vosin30
Vy = ?
a = -9.8
t = ?

Can anyone help give me an idea of where to start?

Physics news on Phys.org
Consider using conservation of energy. You have the initial height and final speed in terms of initial speed. Set up an expression relating initial kinetic energy to final kinetic energy in terms of the speeds given and the change of energy due to the change in height. You should find that the "things you don't know" cancel out of the equation.

This would depend on the angle in which the projectile struck the ground.

zgozvrm said:

What would?

Since all you need to find is the final speed, gneill is right, conservation of energy is the easiest & most direct way to solve the problem.

BTW: Using conservation of energy, you really don't even need the launch angle.

zgozvrm said:

No, I spoke too soon...

lets give you a hint...
1. horizontal velocity would not change
2. since you know the vertical distance you know the height

Related to Projectile Motion - Find intial velocity when given an angle?

1. What is projectile motion?

Projectile motion is the movement of an object through the air or another medium under the force of gravity. It follows a curved path, known as a parabola.

2. How is the initial velocity of a projectile calculated?

The initial velocity of a projectile can be calculated using the equation v = u + at, where v is the final velocity, u is the initial velocity, a is the acceleration due to gravity, and t is the time.

3. What information is needed to find the initial velocity of a projectile?

To find the initial velocity of a projectile, you will need to know the angle at which the object is launched, the distance traveled by the object, and the time it takes to reach that distance.

4. How does the launch angle affect the initial velocity of a projectile?

The launch angle affects the initial velocity of a projectile because it determines the direction in which the object is launched. The greater the angle, the greater the vertical velocity component of the initial velocity will be.

5. Can the initial velocity of a projectile be greater than its final velocity?

Yes, the initial velocity of a projectile can be greater than its final velocity. This can occur when the object is launched at an angle greater than 45 degrees, resulting in a higher vertical velocity component that eventually decreases due to the force of gravity.