Projectile Motion: Deriving an Expression for g

In summary: The acceleration due to gravity can be measured by firing a projectile upward andmeasuring the time it takes to pass two given points in both directions. The figure belowis a plot of height versus time and shows that the time the projectile takes to pass a horizontal line A in both directions is TA, and the time it takes to pass a horizontal line B in both directions is TB. Derive an expression for g, the acceleration due to gravity. Your expression should involve only h, TA, and TB. State any assumptions you make.Assuming that the projectile is fired at a constant velocity, the expression for g can be derived using h, TA, and TB. First, g can be determined by multiplying h by TA
GSV
Projectile Motion! Please Help!

Homework Statement

The acceleration due to gravity can be measured by firing a projectile upward and
measuring the time it takes to pass two given points in both directions. The figure below
is a plot of height versus time and shows that the time the projectile takes to pass a
horizontal line A in both directions is TA, and the time it takes to pass a horizontal line B
in both directions is TB. Derive an expression for g, the acceleration due to gravity. Your
expression should involve only h, TA, and TB. State any assumptions you make.

4sb31k.jpg

The Attempt at a Solution

Dont even know where or how to start! Please Help! thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
this is a constant acceleration problem.
need standard kinematics equations for constant accelerations
relate relevant variables based on the plot (ie. what you know) and then solve those resultant simultaneous equations

mjsd said:
this is a constant acceleration problem.
need standard kinematics equations for constant accelerations
relate relevant variables based on the plot (ie. what you know) and then solve those resultant simultaneous equations

Could you guide me through them!
I tried but i couldn't make it to work.

first, learn the equations (if not the derivation of them as well)

http://www.ac.wwu.edu/~vawter/PhysicsNet/Topics/Kinematics/ConstantAccEqMotion.html

and understand how to interpret graphs

http://www.ac.wwu.edu/~vawter/PhysicsNet/Topics/Kinematics/SpaceTime.html

Last edited by a moderator:

I'm working this problem right now. Where do you start? I mean do you go from when it passes A the first time to when it passes A the second time, similiarly with B? Do you go from ground to A, to A to B, to B to B again on the way down, to B to the ground?

If you measure from A to A and B to B I get:

0=(V1)*(Ta)-.5*g*(Ta)^2
and
0=(V2)*(Tb)-.5*g*(Tb)^2

But how are you supposed to related them? And How do you get rid of the V's?

If I do it the second Way I get times that arn't right like (t1-t2). :confused:

What are you defining V1 and V2 as?

I'm Defining V1 as the velocity of the object as it passes the A line, and V2 as the velocity as the object passes the B line. Is this correct?

Ok, can someone at least tell me how they would start this freaking problem?

If u is the velocity of projection, at t1 the velocity will be
vA = u - g*t1. ...(1)
At t4 the velocity will be
v2 = -vA = u - g*t4...(2). From equ. 1 and 2 we get
2vA = g*(t2 - t1 ) or vA = g/2*(t4 - t1) ...(3)
Similarly vB = g/2*( t3 - t2)...(4)
Now use the vB^2 - vA^2 = 2g*h find g.

Related to Projectile Motion: Deriving an Expression for g

1. What is projectile motion?

Projectile motion is the motion of an object through the air or space under the influence of gravity alone.

2. How do you derive an expression for g in projectile motion?

To derive an expression for g in projectile motion, we use the equation of motion for a projectile in the y-direction: y = y0 + v0y*t - 1/2*g*t^2. By setting y = 0 and solving for g, we can obtain the expression: g = 2*(y0 - v0y*t)/t^2.

3. What factors affect the value of g in projectile motion?

The value of g in projectile motion is affected by the initial height (y0) and the initial vertical velocity (v0y) of the object. It is also affected by the acceleration due to gravity, which is approximately 9.8 m/s^2 on Earth.

4. Can the value of g change during projectile motion?

No, the value of g remains constant during projectile motion. This is because the acceleration due to gravity is a constant value and does not change unless the object is on a different planet or in a different location on Earth.

5. How is the expression for g in projectile motion derived experimentally?

To derive the expression for g in projectile motion experimentally, we can use a motion sensor to track the vertical position and velocity of a projectile. By analyzing the data and plotting a graph of y vs. t, we can determine the value of g by finding the slope of the line of best fit.