Projectile Motion Bullet Shot Help

In summary: You may want to use the Pythagorean Theorem to solve for Δx.In summary, the bullet travels a distance of 0.5097 seconds before hitting the ground. The vertical velocity of the shell casing at the instant before it hits the ground is 5.00 m/s.
yogoes123

Homework Statement

bullet shot horizontally over level ground with a velocity of 300m/s. at the instant that the bullet leaves the barrel, its empty shell casing falls vertically and strikes the ground with a vertical velocity of 5.00m/s

how far does the bullet travel

what is the vertical component of the bullet's velocity at the instant before it his the ground?
I tried a bunch of stuff and I didnt get the right answer, can someone just point me in the right direction? Please, at least tell me which equation to use cause I can't figure this out.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
yogoes123 said:
bullet shot horizontally over level ground with a velocity of 300m/s. at the instant that the bullet leaves the barrel, its empty shell casing falls vertically and strikes the ground with a vertical velocity of 5.00m/s
Hi yogoes123. Is there a question attached to this statement?

sorry i somehow missed that, very sorry i edited it.

yogoes123 said:
I tried a bunch of stuff and I didnt get the right answer, can someone just point me in the right direction? Please, at least tell me which equation to use cause I can't figure this out.
Same here. I can't figure out which equation to use until I have condensed that wordy statement into something that looks more mathematical.

First thing, write down all the information that you know, expressing it as values of variables, e.g.,

bullet: vi = 300 m/sec

casing: vi = ?
    vf = ?

etc.

what is distance d of fall given time of fall T?
what is velocity of fall, given time of fall T?

Ok guys i think there is a bit of confusion. The question says the bullet has a horizontal velocity of 300 m/s.

They want you to find range.

They also say the bullet shell falls vertically at a rate of 5 m/s, not sure why but its probably needed.

Thats all they give u.

Horizontal Velocity of bullet: 300 m/s

Vertical velocity of SHELL: 5m/s

You need to quote the actual problem verbatim for us. The casing will not fall with uniform velocity.

A sharpshooter shoots a bullet horizontally over level ground with a velocity of 3.00 x 10^2 m/s. At the instant that the bullet leaves the barrel, its empty shell casing falls vertically and strikes the ground with a vertical velocity of 5.00 m/s

a) How far does the bullet travel

b) What is the vertical component of the bullet's velocity at the instant before it hits the ground.

yogoes123 said:

Homework Statement

bullet shot horizontally over level ground with a velocity of 300m/s. at the instant that the bullet leaves the barrel, its empty shell casing falls vertically and strikes the ground with a vertical velocity of 5.00m/s. So if you want to find the distance it traveled, you need to find ow far it traveled in x and in y.

how far does the bullet travel

what is the vertical component of the bullet's velocity at the instant before it his the ground?

Break this down into your knowns and unknowns.

You only have four kinematic equations.

U1L6a1.gif

This problem is a projectile problem that is asking you to break things up in terms of x and y. First the shell moves initially with the bullet at 300 m/s horizontally, and then when it approaches 0 m/s, due to gravity it accelerates vertically at 9.8 m/s2 towards the Earth to reach a final velocity of 5 m/s.

So what do you know?

Horizontal Movement

Vix= 300 m/s
t=(5m/s)/(9.8m/s2)=0.5097s
ax= 0 m/s2
Δx=?

Δx=(vix)(t) + (0.5)(ax)(t)2

Vertical Movement

viy= 0 m/s
vfy= 5m/s
ay= 9.8 m/s2
Δx=?

vfy2 = viy2 + (2)(ay)(Δy)

Last edited:

Related to Projectile Motion Bullet Shot Help

1. What is projectile motion?

Projectile motion is the motion of an object through the air under the influence of gravity. It follows a curved path due to the downward acceleration of gravity.

2. How does the angle of the bullet affect its trajectory?

The angle at which a bullet is fired affects its trajectory by determining the amount of horizontal and vertical components of its initial velocity. A higher angle will result in a longer flight time and a greater horizontal distance, while a lower angle will result in a shorter flight time and a shorter horizontal distance.

3. What factors affect the range of a bullet shot?

The range of a bullet shot is affected by several factors, including the initial velocity, angle of elevation, air resistance, and the height of the object relative to the ground. These factors can all impact the time and distance traveled by the bullet.

4. How does air resistance impact the trajectory of a bullet?

Air resistance, also known as drag, can affect the trajectory of a bullet by slowing it down as it travels through the air. This can cause the bullet to drop more quickly and have a shorter range compared to a bullet with less air resistance.

5. What is the formula for calculating the range of a bullet shot?

The formula for calculating the range of a bullet shot is R = (v2 sin(2θ))/g, where R is the range, v is the initial velocity, θ is the angle of elevation, and g is the acceleration due to gravity. This formula assumes no air resistance and a level surface.