Projectile motion ball throw problem

In summary: Once you have t, you can use the equations for x and y positions to find how far the ball traveled and at what velocity. To find the maximum height reached, you can use the equation for y-velocity at any point in time, as long as you know the initial velocity and the acceleration due to gravity. In summary, the problem is about a ball being thrown upwards from the top of a building with an initial velocity of 20 m/s at an angle of 30 degrees with the horizontal. The building is 25m tall and the goal is to determine (i) where and when the ball will strike the ground, (ii) the velocity at which it strikes the ground, and (iii) the maximum height
herbgriffin

Homework Statement

A ball is thrown upwards from the top of a building with an initial velocity of 20 m/s and at an angle of 30 (degrees) with the horizontal. The height of the building from the ground level is 25m. Determine (i) where and when it will strike the ground (ii) velocity with which it strikes the ground (iii)maximum height reached by the ball above the ground level.

Homework Equations

T total = (2Vi sin(theta))/2(9.81)
Range, R= (Vi)^2 sin2(theta)/ (9.81)

The Attempt at a Solution

i have solve for Vx= 20cos30 = 17.32 m/s
Vy=20sin30= 10 m/s

Physics news on Phys.org
herbgriffin said:

Homework Statement

A ball is thrown upwards from the top of a building with an initial velocity of 20 m/s and at an angle of 30 (degrees) with the horizontal. The height of the building from the ground level is 25m. Determine (i) where and when it will strike the ground (ii) velocity with which it strikes the ground (iii)maximum height reached by the ball above the ground level.

Homework Equations

T total = (2Vi sin(theta))/2(9.81)
Range, R= (Vi)^2 sin2(theta)/ (9.81)
There are 4 or 5 equations relevant to projectile motion, and they should all be in your textbook.

There are problems with the two equations you list here. The first equation should contain initial and final velocities, but only has the initial velocity. Also, that range equation is only valid for the projectiles launched from ground level -- not the case here.

The Attempt at a Solution

i have solve for Vx= 20cos30 = 17.32 m/s
Vy=20sin30= 10 m/s
[/QUOTE]
I would start by finding how long it takes the ball to hit the ground. Check out the equations for projectile motion, and see which can be used to find time t given the information you know about height, initial velocity, and acceleration in the y (vertical) direction.

Related to Projectile motion ball throw problem

1. What is projectile motion?

Projectile motion refers to the motion of an object that is launched into the air and follows a curved path due to the influence of gravity.

2. What is the formula for calculating projectile motion?

The formula for calculating projectile motion is: - Horizontal distance: d = v0cosθ * t - Vertical distance: h = v0sinθ * t - 1/2gt2 - Final velocity: v = √(v02 + 2gh) Where v0 is the initial velocity, θ is the launch angle, t is the time, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

3. How does air resistance affect projectile motion?

Air resistance can decrease the horizontal and vertical distances traveled by a projectile, as well as decrease the final velocity due to the force of drag acting in the opposite direction of the projectile's motion.

4. What is the maximum height reached by a projectile?

The maximum height reached by a projectile is determined by the launch angle. The highest point of the projectile's path occurs when the vertical velocity is 0, and the formula for calculating this height is h = v02sin2θ/2g.

5. How can we use projectile motion in real life?

Projectile motion is used in many real-life situations, such as throwing a ball, kicking a soccer ball, and launching a rocket into space. It is also used in sports and engineering applications, such as calculating the trajectory of a golf ball or designing a roller coaster.