Projectile Motion 2D - Spring Launched

In summary, the conversation is about projectile motion in 2D, specifically a ball launched from a slingshot at an angle of 60 degrees to the horizontal. The questions involve deriving equations for velocity and trajectory with negligible aerodynamic drag. The approach involves finding acceleration in the x and y directions, and then using energy equations to solve for the initial velocity of the ball.
reaganks
Projectile Motion 2D -- Spring Launched

There is this ball launched from a slingshot. Given the mass is 0.9 kg at the angle 60° to the horizontal, with k=750 N/m and is stretched by length l = 0.6 m. The ball is shot 1 m above the ground. (g=10 m/s2).

The questions are to derive the equation describing the velocity and trajectory with the aerodynamic drag negligible.

My approach is first to find the acceleration in x and y direction.
F = k.x = 750x0.6 = 450 N
Fx = F cos 60 = 389.71 N, Fy = F sin 60 = 225 N

Horizontal:
Fx = m*ax
ax = 250 m/s2

Vertical:
Fy - mg = m*ay
ay = 423.01 m/s2

Then I find the Velocity
Vx = Vox + 250t
Vy = Voy + (423.01-10)t = Voy + 413.01t

My problem is now finding the initial Velocity Vo. I was thinking of using Energy principal but then I am stuck with the velocity of the ball at certain point, thus, I was not able to solve it.

Physics news on Phys.org
The initial velocity is zero.

dirk_mec1 said:
The initial velocity is zero.
reaganks said:
There is this ball launched from a slingshot.
with k=750 N/m and is stretched by length l = 0.6 m.
So the initial velocity will be nonzero.

Oh yes that's right my bad. Use an energy equation 1/2kx^2 = 1/2 mv(0)^2.

Related to Projectile Motion 2D - Spring Launched

1. What is projectile motion in 2D?

Projectile motion in 2D is the motion of an object or particle that is launched into the air and experiences both horizontal and vertical movement due to the forces acting on it.

2. How is projectile motion affected by a spring launch?

When an object is launched from a spring, it experiences an initial force from the spring that propels it forward. This force, combined with the force of gravity, causes the object to follow a parabolic path.

3. What factors affect the trajectory of a projectile in 2D?

The trajectory of a projectile in 2D is affected by the initial velocity, the angle of launch, and the force of gravity. Other factors such as air resistance and wind can also have an impact.

4. How can we calculate the range of a projectile in 2D?

The range of a projectile in 2D can be calculated using the formula: R = (V^2*sin(2θ))/g, where R is the range, V is the initial velocity, θ is the angle of launch, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

5. What is the maximum height reached by a projectile in 2D?

The maximum height reached by a projectile in 2D can be calculated using the formula: h = (V^2*sin^2(θ))/(2g), where h is the maximum height, V is the initial velocity, θ is the angle of launch, and g is the acceleration due to gravity. This height is reached when the projectile's vertical velocity becomes 0.