Projectile Force and Velocity?

In summary, Natsu and BvU explain to AA how to calculate the velocity and force of a projectile, and how to use the range formula. Natsu and BvU mention that there is a factor 2 missing from the equation for potential energy, and that the projectile will only travel 7.5 m before hitting the ground.
Arthur Albert
Missing template due to originally being posted in different forum
Hi guys, Please, someone can help me to solve some simple equations?
I Need to shoot a projectile with 20 grams at 15 meters and 15°.
So, I'm triyng to calculate the velocity and Force and what I will need to make this succesfull.

My Calcs:

Velocity= √(R*g)/sen θ
V= √(15m * 9,81) /sen15
V= 46,86 m/s
I= ΔQ or Qend - Qinitial. (Q = moviment quantity. Q= m.V)

I= (0,020kg * 46,86 m/s) - (0,020kg * 0 m/s)
I= 0,937 N.s

(I = Impulse // I= Force * Time)

0,937 N.s = Force * 0.1s
Force = 0,937 / 0,1 = 9,37 N.

This means I need to put just 9,37 Newtons on 0,1 seconds to shoot a 20 grams projectile at 15 meters and 46,86m/s? (at 15°)

Thank you for your attention and sorry for my bad english.

Physics news on Phys.org
Isn't the range formula with a sin(2θ)?

Hello AA, welcome to PF :smile: !

You want to be a bit more clear in your mission statement:
1. is the 15 degrees wrt horizontal ?
2. Is the 15 m in a horizontal direction ?

Your first calc equates potential energy from height with kinetic energy: ##{1\over 2} m (v\sin\theta)^2 = mgh ## hence ## v = \sqrt{2 g h}/\sin\theta ##.
So like Nasu I think there is a factor 2 missing, only in a different place.
Indeed your 46.86 m/s will only get the object to a height of 7.5 m (that factor 2).
But by then it has already traveled 56 m and it hits the ground at 112 m. Is that the idea ?

Likes Arthur Albert
I looked my notes but didn't has any "2" in the formula, my error.

The intention is throw the projectile 15m in a horizontal direction like that: http://imgur.com/rswHEH0 .

About the formula : √2gh / sin θ.
This will not just increase my velocity?
About the 15°, how can I calculate with 0° (parallel to the ground) ?

Thank you for the help Natsu and BvU!
Have a good day guys...

If it's about horizontal range, then you can look up the right formula here, for example: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Range_of_a_projectile
If you launch from ground level, the second formula will apply.

If you want to have 0 degrees angle you need to launch from some height, don't you?

Likes Arthur Albert
I see now, thank you @nasu and @BvU .
I will do the calculations.!

Related to Projectile Force and Velocity?

1. What is the relationship between force and velocity in projectile motion?

In projectile motion, the force acting on the object does not affect its velocity. The velocity of a projectile is determined solely by its initial velocity and the force of gravity acting on it. This is known as the principle of inertia.

2. How does air resistance impact the force and velocity of a projectile?

Air resistance, also known as air drag, acts in the opposite direction of the projectile's motion and decreases its velocity. This decrease in velocity also affects the force acting on the projectile, as the force is proportional to the velocity. As the velocity decreases, the force decreases as well.

3. Can the force acting on a projectile change during its flight?

No, the force acting on a projectile remains constant throughout its flight. This is because the force of gravity is the only force acting on the projectile, and it is a constant force. Therefore, the force acting on the projectile does not change unless an external force, such as air resistance, is applied.

4. How does the angle of launch affect the velocity of a projectile?

The angle of launch, also known as the angle of elevation, affects the vertical and horizontal components of the projectile's velocity. The greater the angle of launch, the greater the vertical component of the velocity, and the shorter the horizontal distance the projectile will travel. A smaller angle of launch will result in a smaller vertical component of velocity and a longer horizontal distance traveled.

5. Is the force acting on a projectile the same at all points of its trajectory?

Yes, the force acting on a projectile remains the same at all points of its trajectory. This is because the force of gravity is a constant force and acts on the projectile in the same direction at all times. However, the velocity and direction of the projectile may change due to external factors such as air resistance, but the force acting on the projectile remains constant.