Projectile and relative motion help

In summary, a boy standing on a moving railroad car throws a ball straight upwards. Using basic equations of motion and relative velocity, the time taken for the ball to go up and come down was found to be 2t. The speed of the car does not affect the solution. The final answer is 2 meters.
Torpedo007

Homework Statement

A boy is standing on a long railroad car throws a ball straight upwards.The car is moving on a horizontal road with an accelaration of 1m/s^2. and the projection velocity is 9.8m/s.How far behind the boy will the ball fall on the car.

Homework Equations

Not entirely sure what to use but i tried using the basic equations of motions and relative velocity but without an actual velocity for the rail car i found it really hard

The Attempt at a Solution

I fist used the basic V=U+at and found the time taken to go up.

Hence time taken to come down will be 2t.In this same the car should have traveled a certain distance.Now this is where I am stuck since i only have the acceleration not the speed of the car D:

I juggled around but couldn't get the proper answer which was 2 meters

Any help would be much appreciated!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Hi Torpedo007! Welcome to PF! :smile:

(try using the X2 icon just above the Reply box :wink:)

Show us what you've tried, and where you're stuck, and then we'll know how to help! :smile:

tiny-tim said:
Hi Torpedo007! Welcome to PF! :smile:

(try using the X2 icon just above the Reply box :wink:)

Show us what you've tried, and where you're stuck, and then we'll know how to help! :smile:

Hey thanks for the reply ;D

Hence time taken to come down will be 2t.In this same the car should have traveled a certain distance.Now this is where I am stuck since i only have the acceleration not the speed of the car D:

Hey Torpedo007! :smile:
Torpedo007 said:

Hence time taken to come down will be 2t.

(btw, you could have used V = -U and found the total time, or 0 = Ut + at2/2 :wink:)
In this same the car should have traveled a certain distance.Now this is where I am stuck since i only have the acceleration not the speed of the car D:

Call the speed of the car c, put it in the x equation, and you should find it cancels at the end. :wink:

tiny-tim said:
Call the speed of the car c, put it in the x equation, and you should find it cancels at the end. :wink:

Sorry to be a bother but can you just elaborate a bit more please , i don't understand D:

The boy has initial speed c0, and acceleration 1.

The ball has initial distance x = 0 and initial horizontal speed vx,0 = c0.

So when the ball lands, where is the ball, and where is the boy?

tiny-tim said:
The boy has initial speed c0, and acceleration 1.

The ball has initial distance x = 0 and initial horizontal speed vx,0 = c0.

So when the ball lands, where is the ball, and where is the boy?

Ah i think i finally i got it ;D thanks a load

Related to Projectile and relative motion help

1. What is projectile motion?

Projectile motion is the motion of an object through the air or space under the influence of gravity. It is a combination of horizontal and vertical motion, and the object follows a curved path known as a parabola.

2. What factors affect projectile motion?

The factors that affect projectile motion include initial velocity, angle of launch, air resistance, and gravity. These factors can impact the distance, height, and time of flight of the projectile.

3. How do you calculate the range of a projectile?

The range of a projectile can be calculated using the formula R = (v^2 * sin2θ)/g, where R is the range, v is the initial velocity, θ is the angle of launch, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

4. What is relative motion?

Relative motion is the motion of an object in relation to another object. It takes into account the motion of both objects and how they affect each other, rather than just the motion of one object in isolation.

5. How is relative motion different from projectile motion?

Relative motion involves two objects in motion, while projectile motion is the motion of a single object. In relative motion, the motion of each object affects the other, whereas in projectile motion, the only external force acting on the object is gravity.