Progress direction of the Aldebaran occultation by the moon

In summary, the article describes the Aldebaran occultation by the moon, and it notes that the occultation will occur as the moon moves from its waxing gibbous phase to its waning gibbous phase. However, according to the diagram, the advancing direction of the occultation should be opposite to what is described in the article. The moon is moving to the left relative to the background stars, so when waxing the moon, Aldebaran will appear from behind the moon's dark limb and afterwards reappear from behind the moon's bright limb.
EnigmaticField
We are experiencing a regular series of the Aldebaran occultations by the moon now. I read this in the article http://www.skyandtelescope.com/observing/moon-covers-bright-star-aldebaran/. What puzzle me are the advancing directions of the occultations across the moon described in the article.

It said when the occultation occurs as the moon is in the waxing gibbous phase, Aldebaran would disappear behind the moon's dark limb and afterwards reappear from behind the moon's bright limb (such as the occultation on Dec. 23, 2015), and when the occultation occurs as the moon is in the waning gibbous moon, Aldebaran would disappear behind the moon's bright limb and afterwards reappear from behind the moon's dark limb (such as the occultation on Oct. 18, 2016).

But I think according to the revolving direction of the moon the advancing directions should be opposite to the above statement. The moon is revolving Earth in the counterclockwise direction, so I think in its waxing gibbous phase, it advances with its bright limb as the front and dark limb as the back, so that its bright limb would cover Aldebaran followed by the emergence of Aldebaran from behind its dark limb, and in its waning gibbous phase, it advances with its dark limb as the front and bright limb as the back, so that its dark limb would cover Aldebaran followed by the emergence of Aldebaran from behind its dark limb.

So where am I wrong to deduce the advancing directions opposite to those described by the article?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
When waxing the moon is illuminated on the right side and therefore is dark on the left side, and since the moon is moving to the left relative to the background stars I would say the article is correct.

[Reworded using a proper screen and keyboard instead of my mobile]

Last edited:
Likes EnigmaticField
Filip Larsen said:
Wien waxing the moon is illuminated on the right side and is dark on the left, and since it is moving to the left relative to the background I would say the article has is correct.

Thank you for your enlightening me. I probably have been disentangled from my puzzle. I think your statement can be understood by the following diagram. I previously thought wrong about the lit part of the moon so deduced wrong.

moon_phases_diagram.jpg

Likes Filip Larsen

Related to Progress direction of the Aldebaran occultation by the moon

1. What is "Progress direction" in the context of the Aldebaran occultation by the moon?

"Progress direction" refers to the path or trajectory of the moon as it moves across the sky during the Aldebaran occultation. This movement is typically from east to west, as the moon orbits the Earth in a counterclockwise direction.

2. When will the Aldebaran occultation occur?

The exact timing of the Aldebaran occultation can vary depending on location, but it is expected to occur on November 18th, 2021. The precise time will also depend on the observer's longitude and latitude, so it is important to consult a specific astronomical event calendar for the most accurate information.

3. How often does the Aldebaran occultation by the moon occur?

The Aldebaran occultation occurs approximately once every 15 years. However, this frequency can vary due to factors such as the moon's orbit and the position of Aldebaran in the sky.

4. Can the Aldebaran occultation be seen with the naked eye?

Yes, the Aldebaran occultation can be seen with the naked eye, as long as the sky is clear and the observer is in a location with minimal light pollution. However, using binoculars or a telescope can provide a clearer and more detailed view of the event.

5. What can we learn from observing the Aldebaran occultation by the moon?

Studying the Aldebaran occultation can provide valuable information about the moon's orbit and the position of stars in the sky. It can also help us better understand the movements of celestial bodies and their impact on our planet.