Production of the bremsstrahlung

In summary, the conversation discusses the emission of X-rays when an electron strikes a target metal. The book states that the electron loses speed and emits a photon due to being attracted by the positively charged nuclei. However, the person is confused as they learned that in centripetal acceleration, the speed of the object being accelerated stays the same. The explanation given is that the electron collides with an inner-shell atomic electron, causing a transfer of momentum and resulting in Brems radiation. The spikes in the X-ray spectrum are explained as outer-shell electrons falling inward to fill in the vacancy created by the ejected electron.
nousername
Hey,

My book says: When an electron strikes the target metal it is attracted by the positively charged nuclei, and hence it loses speed and hence emits a photon of X-ray.

That doesn't make sense to me. We learned that in centripitel acceleration, that the speed of the object being centripitally accelerated stays the same, and this is the case with this.. the electron is being centripitally accelerated by the nuclei and hence it shouldn't loose speed. Can someone explain to me why it loses speed?

BTW: I know this isn't a homework or coursework question, but one of the people kept on moving my previous questions which i posted under the general physics forum... SO DONT MOVE THIS ONE OR OTHERWISE COME TO A CONCLUSION AS TO WHAT IS COURSEWORK QUESTIONS AND WHAT IS GENERAL PHYSICS! THIS QUESTION WASNT ASKED AS HOMEWORK! IM JUST WONDERING! BUT MY PREVIOUS TWO QUESTIONS GOT MOVED!

Physics news on Phys.org
the impinging electron collides with an inner-shell atomic electron, and transfers a lot of its momentum (even ionizing the atom by ejecting it). This vigorous acceleration is accompanied by Brems radiation (Electric fields and magnetic fields change rapidly).
The "spikes" in the x-ray spectrum comes from the "cascade" as outer-shell electrons fall inward, to fill in the vacancy where the ejected one used to be.

Related to Production of the bremsstrahlung

1. What is bremsstrahlung?

Bremsstrahlung is a type of electromagnetic radiation that is produced when charged particles, such as electrons, are accelerated or decelerated. It is also known as "braking radiation" in English.

2. How is bremsstrahlung produced?

Bremsstrahlung is produced when charged particles are deflected by the electric fields of the atoms in a material. As the particles are slowed down, they emit radiation in the form of photons.

3. What is the purpose of producing bremsstrahlung?

Bremsstrahlung is commonly used in medical imaging, such as X-rays, because it can penetrate through materials and provide images of the internal structures of the body.

4. How is bremsstrahlung different from other types of electromagnetic radiation?

Bremsstrahlung is unique because it is produced by the acceleration or deceleration of charged particles, while other types of electromagnetic radiation, such as visible light, are produced by the movement of electrons within an atom.

5. Can bremsstrahlung be harmful?

Bremsstrahlung can be harmful at high levels of exposure, such as in medical procedures or industrial settings. However, in low doses, it is generally considered safe and is used in various technologies to benefit society.