Produce an EM wave through interference

In summary, interference does not change the frequency of light. It is not possible for two or more EM waves outside the visible spectrum to add up and produce light. This phenomenon is not directly related to quantum physics and can be explained through classical wave theory. It is possible for crystals to double or triple the initial laser frequency, and for materials to reflect light with a different frequency through processes like Stokes-Raman and anti-Stokes-Raman scattering. However, these processes involve interaction with matter and not the presence of multiple photons in the incident beam. Further information can be found on these topics in Wikipedia.
Sesse
I am trying to understand why it is not possible to produce an EM wave through interference that is completely different from the source waves. For example why can't 2 or more EM waves outside the visible spectrum add up to produce light? I haven't had any physics since high school and I don't know where to look to find an answer for this. Any explanation is very much appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org

Er... interference doesn't CHANGE the frequency of the light!

What would cause you to think that it can?

This also has nothing directly to do with quantum physics, and more of a classical wave question, which is where I'll move this to...

Zz.

Sesse said:
I am trying to understand why it is not possible to produce an EM wave through interference that is completely different from the source waves. For example why can't 2 or more EM waves outside the visible spectrum add up to produce light? I haven't had any physics since high school and I don't know where to look to find an answer for this. Any explanation is very much appreciated.

It is not the interference that "mutiplies" photon frequency. There are anisotropical cristalls that permit to double or triple the initial laser frequency.

Also there are such phenomena as Stokes-Raman and anti-Stokes-Raman photon scattering from material that change the "reflected" frequency (increase and decrease both are possible). But these are one-photon processes - the frequency change is due to inealstic interaction with the matter, not beacuse of presence multiple photons in the incident beam.

You can find some information on all that in Wikipedia, I guess.

Bob.

Last edited:

Related to Produce an EM wave through interference

1. How is an EM wave produced through interference?

An EM wave is produced through the interference of two or more coherent waves. This means that the waves have the same frequency, amplitude, and phase. When these waves overlap, they create areas of constructive and destructive interference, resulting in the formation of an EM wave.

2. What is the difference between constructive and destructive interference?

Constructive interference occurs when two waves of the same frequency, amplitude, and phase overlap and combine to create a wave with a higher amplitude. Destructive interference, on the other hand, occurs when the two waves cancel each other out, resulting in a wave with a lower amplitude.

3. Can any type of wave produce an EM wave through interference?

No, only electromagnetic waves can be produced through interference. This is because EM waves are transverse waves, meaning that they propagate perpendicular to the direction of the oscillation, which allows them to interfere with each other.

4. How does the distance between the interfering waves affect the resulting EM wave?

The distance between the interfering waves, also known as the path difference, determines the phase difference between the waves. This, in turn, affects the type of interference that occurs and the resulting amplitude of the EM wave. The greater the path difference, the greater the phase difference and the more pronounced the interference.

5. Is interference the only way to produce an EM wave?

No, there are other ways to produce an EM wave, such as accelerating charges or using a device like an antenna. However, interference is one of the most common and efficient ways to produce an EM wave, as it allows for precise control of the frequency and amplitude of the resulting wave.