Problems of E-field of a Continuous Charge Distribution

In summary, the conversation discusses how to change the equation dE = ke(dq/r2) to a more complicated form. The participants refer to the section on field from a disk in a website, and mention equations σ=Q/πR2 and ρ=Q/V. They also mention the volume of a sphere and deduce that (πR2 x dz) is equivalent to the volume of a cylinder. They also mention that dz represents a thin slice and the picture may be referring to a cylinder instead of a sphere.
mysci
Warning: Template not used to format problem
dE = ke(dq/r2)
How to change to complicated equation in the following picture?

Attachments

• am.jpg
    am.jpg
    21.9 KB · Views: 458
Physics news on Phys.org
mysci said:
σ=Q/ πR2 and
ρ=Q/ V
Then ρ=Q/ (πR2 x dz) in here?
Looks right.

haruspex said:
Looks right.
In fact, I don't understand although I can deduce it.
The volume of sphere is (4/3)πR3, (πR2 x dz) = base area x height = volume of cylinder
Whether I got wrong about the picture is talking about the cylinder not sphere?

Thanks.

mysci said:
In fact, I don't understand although I can deduce it.
The volume of sphere is (4/3)πR3, (πR2 x dz) = base area x height = volume of cylinder
Whether I got wrong about the picture is talking about the cylinder not sphere?

Thanks.
dz indicates an arbitrarily thin slice. Such a thin slice of a sphere is effectively a very short cylinder. This is the basis of calculus.

Related to Problems of E-field of a Continuous Charge Distribution

1. What is an E-field and how does it relate to a continuous charge distribution?

An E-field, or electric field, is a measure of the force that a charged particle would experience at a given point in space. In the case of a continuous charge distribution, the E-field is a vector quantity that describes the electric force at every point in the distribution.

2. What are the main problems associated with the E-field of a continuous charge distribution?

One of the main problems is determining the exact value of the E-field at any given point, as it is dependent on the charge distribution and can be difficult to calculate. Another problem is understanding the behavior of the E-field in complex charge distributions, as it can be affected by the geometry and arrangement of charges.

3. How does the E-field vary with distance from a continuous charge distribution?

The E-field is inversely proportional to the square of the distance from a continuous charge distribution. This means that as the distance increases, the strength of the E-field decreases. However, the exact relationship between distance and E-field strength depends on the charge distribution and its geometry.

4. Can the E-field of a continuous charge distribution be calculated analytically?

In some cases, yes. For simple charge distributions, such as a point charge or a uniformly charged sphere, the E-field can be calculated using Coulomb's law or Gauss's law. However, for more complex charge distributions, numerical methods may be necessary to obtain an accurate value for the E-field.

5. How does the E-field of a continuous charge distribution affect the motion of charged particles?

The E-field can exert a force on charged particles, causing them to accelerate and change their trajectory. This is the basis for many applications in electrical engineering and particle physics, such as particle accelerators. The behavior of the E-field in a continuous charge distribution can also affect the stability of charged particles in an electric field.