Problem with Integration/Two Different Integrals

• Thread starter yoshtov
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integrals
In summary, the conversation discusses two alternative approaches to using U-substitution in order to solve the integral int[sin(x)*cos(x)]dx. While both approaches are valid and yield different solutions, they can be equated to show that they differ only by a constant.
yoshtov

Homework Statement

int[sin(x)*cos(x)]dx

Homework Equations

U-substitution

The Attempt at a Solution

Alternative #1:

u=sin(x)
du=cos(x)dx

intdu = u^2/2 + K = sin^2(x)/2+K

Alternative #2

u=cos(x)
du=-sin(x)dx

-intdu = -u^2/2 + K = -cos^2(x)/2+K

From where I'm sitting, both approaches to using U-substitution are equally valid, but yield different solutions. As near as I can tell, they are not equal. Can you please point out where I made a logical misstep?

Physics news on Phys.org
No mistake. They aren't equal. But they do differ by a constant. sin^2(x)=(-cos^2(x))+1. They both differentiate to sin(x)*cos(x).

Let's rewrite your two Ks as K1 and K2

Then we can equate these two expressions to get:

[tex]\frac{sin^2(x)}{2} + K_1 = - \frac{cos^2(x)}{2} + K_2[/tex]

Then rewrite sin2(x) as 1-cos2(x) via the Pythagorean theorem, and we get...

[tex]\frac{1 - cos^2(x)}{2} + K_1 = - \frac{cos^2(x)}{2} + K_2[/tex]

Then, adding cos2(x)/2 to both sides, we get...

[tex]\frac{1}{2} + K_1 = K_2[/tex]

And since K1 and K2 are both arbitrary, there exists a K1 and K2 such that this is true. Therefore, the equations are really the same, up to a constant.

Remarkable! Thank you!

Related to Problem with Integration/Two Different Integrals

1. What is the difference between definite and indefinite integrals?

Definite integrals are used to find the exact numerical value of the area under a curve between two specific points, while indefinite integrals represent a family of functions that differ by a constant value. In other words, definite integrals give a specific answer, while indefinite integrals give a general equation.

2. Why do we sometimes need to use two different integrals to solve a problem?

Using two different integrals allows us to break down a complex problem into smaller, more manageable parts. This can be especially useful when dealing with functions that have multiple variables or when the limits of integration are not simple to determine.

3. When should I use integration by substitution?

Integration by substitution is useful when the integrand (the expression being integrated) contains a function within another function. By substituting a variable, we can simplify the integral and make it easier to solve.

4. What is the fundamental theorem of calculus?

The fundamental theorem of calculus states that integration and differentiation are inverse processes. This means that if we take the derivative of an integral, we will get back the original function. This theorem is the basis for many integration techniques and allows us to solve complex integration problems.

5. How can I check my answer when using integration to solve a problem?

One way to check your answer is to take the derivative of the antiderivative you found using integration. If the result is the original function, then your answer is correct. You can also use a graphing calculator or software to graph the original function and the antiderivative to visually verify that they are the same.