Problem with integration by parts

In summary, the conversation is discussing the integration of the function d(y/x) using integration by parts and the use of a series to solve the integral. It is suggested that the integral may not have a simple solution and that the Si function or a Taylor polynomial approximation may be necessary. The final solution is given as -cos(x)/x - Si(x).
bobey

Homework Statement

the question :

integrate the following :

integration of d(y/x) = integration of(c cos x/x^2) dx , where c is a constant

Homework Equations

integration of d(y/x) = integration of(c cos x/x^2) dx
y/x = c integration of (c cos x/x^2) dx (*)
= c(x^-2 sin x -integration(sin x (-2x^-3))dx

(*) i let u = x^-2
du = -2x^-3

dv= cos x dx
v = sin x

and by integration by parts, i got (*)

but the integration on the RHS seems to complex which contradicts with the principle of integration by parts, which makes the integration simpler... i think i made some mistake some where... can anyone highlight it to me... please...

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
bobey said:

Homework Statement

the question :

integrate the following :

integration of d(y/x) = integration of(c cos x/x^2) dx , where c is a constant

Homework Equations

integration of d(y/x) = integration of(c cos x/x^2) dx
y/x = c integration of (c cos x/x^2) dx (*)
= c(x^-2 sin x -integration(sin x (-2x^-3))dx

(*) i let u = x^-2
du = -2x^-3

dv= cos x dx
v = sin x

and by integration by parts, i got (*)

but the integration on the RHS seems to complex which contradicts with the principle of integration by parts, which makes the integration simpler... i think i made some mistake some where... can anyone highlight it to me... please...

The Attempt at a Solution

Do you own the Edwards and Penny Calculus Bible? In there you are presented with several integrals which can't be solved using standard methods. This is one them...

I learned to find a solution in Calculus. But if you can't find in your book. Please report back to me and I will guide you :)

Remember you want evaluate [tex]\int c \cdot \frac{cos(x)}{x^2} dx [/tex] which is a series also. Did you know that?

Find a series for [tex]f(x) = \frac{cos(x)}{x^2}[/tex] and then report back to me :)

Last edited:
If you change your u=cos(x) and v'=x^-2 you can integrate it easier but you get to a point where you get the integral of sin(x)/x. Which if you don't know is Si(x). If you want to keep going you can use the taylor polynomial of sin(x) which is x-(x^3)/3!+(x^5)/5!-(x^7)/7!. It really keeps going forever but this will be really really close integrate this and you should have an answer. But depending on where you are in Calculus you should just leave it:

-cos(x)/x - Si(x)

SgtSniper90 said:
If you change your u=cos(x) and v'=x^-2 you can integrate it easier but you get to a point where you get the integral of sin(x)/x. Which if you don't know is Si(x). If you want to keep going you can use the taylor polynomial of sin(x) which is x-(x^3)/3!+(x^5)/5!-(x^7)/7!. It really keeps going forever but this will be really really close integrate this and you should have an answer. But depending on where you are in Calculus you should just leave it:

-cos(x)/x - Si(x)

I'm not trying argue but isn't the Si function post Calculus?

I think so but there really is no other answer at your level of calc (not to insult you). Even if you used the taylor polynomial you can never get it to fit the entire graph, you can get really really close but never perfect. I haven't tried but i don't think that a series would help here anyways

Related to Problem with integration by parts

1. What is integration by parts?

Integration by parts is a technique used in calculus to find the integral of a product of two functions. It involves breaking down the original integral into smaller, simpler parts and using a specific formula to solve for the final integral.

2. What is the formula for integration by parts?

The formula for integration by parts is ∫uv' = uv - ∫u'v, where u and v are functions and u' and v' are their respective derivatives.

3. When should integration by parts be used?

Integration by parts is useful when the integral involves a product of two functions, one of which can be easily integrated while the other can be easily differentiated. It is also helpful when the integral involves logarithmic or inverse trigonometric functions.

4. What are the common mistakes made when using integration by parts?

Some common mistakes when using integration by parts include forgetting to apply the formula correctly, choosing the wrong functions for u and v, and not simplifying the final integral after using the formula.

5. Are there any tips for using integration by parts effectively?

One tip for using integration by parts effectively is to choose u and v carefully, ideally selecting u as the more complicated function and v as the simpler one. It is also important to practice and become familiar with the formula and its application to different types of integrals.