Problem with conducting loop and magnetic field

In summary, the conversation discusses a scenario where a rectangular conducting loop of wire is halfway into a magnetic field that is increasing in strength. The participants suggest using the Maxwell-Faraday equation and understanding Faraday's law to determine the resulting motion of the loop. They also recommend learning Maxwell's Equations for a better understanding of electromagnetism. The answer to the question is qualitative and depends on correctly determining the direction of motion based on the induced emf and resultant current in the loop.
teetar

Homework Statement

A rectangular conducting loop of wire is approximately half-way into a magnetic field B (out of the page) and is free to move. Suppose the magnetic field B begins to increase rapidly in strength. What happens to the loop?
UGTABtE.png

Homework Equations

Not sure which ones are relevant and which are not, but it seems like this is more conceptual than algebraic.

The Attempt at a Solution

Not sure where to start on this one. I cannot seem to grasp electromagnetism in general, I've read and re-read the notes, and haven't gotten any closer to a solution. Could you guys give me suggestions on where to start to work towards the solution for this? Hate to ask to much, but could you also give me any suggestions for resources I can use to strengthen my understanding of electromagnetism in general?

Physics news on Phys.org
The Maxwell-Faraday equation governs what happens here. This is a good intro.
I reckon that if you are mathematically inclined then learning Maxwell's Equations is the quickest route to understanding electromagnetism.

What does Faraday's law say here? Induced emf? Resultant current? Then, the force on a wire or wires carrying a current in a B field?
The answer is qualitative rather than quantitative but you should get the direction of motion (if any) right.

Related to Problem with conducting loop and magnetic field

1. What is a conducting loop?

A conducting loop is a closed circuit made of a conductive material, such as metal, that allows electric current to flow through it.

2. What is a magnetic field?

A magnetic field is a region in space where magnetic forces can be detected. It is created by moving electric charges, such as electric currents.

3. Why is there a problem with conducting loop and magnetic field?

The problem with conducting loop and magnetic field arises because when a conducting loop is placed in a magnetic field, an electric current is induced in the loop. This current creates its own magnetic field, which interacts with the original magnetic field and can cause unwanted effects.

4. What are some potential issues with conducting loop and magnetic field?

Some potential issues with conducting loop and magnetic field include interference with electronic devices, heating of the conducting loop, and changes in the behavior of the magnetic field.

5. How can the problem with conducting loop and magnetic field be addressed?

The problem with conducting loop and magnetic field can be addressed by using shielded materials for the conducting loop, adjusting the orientation and distance of the loop from the magnetic field, and carefully designing the circuit to minimize unwanted effects.