Problem with an Equation -- Solving for "a" in this large equation

• B
  • Thread starter TheShermanTanker
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about solving an equation to make the small letter a the subject of the formula. The equation involves multiple factors and operators, and the person is having trouble solving it halfway. The suggested approach is to replace the many factors with a composite factor and then take the exponential of both sides.
TheShermanTanker
Ok, I know this may sound silly and I apologize for bringing in what should be a relatively easy equation. I'm trying to make the small a in the below equation the subject of the formula (That is, to push everything in the equation except a to one side of the equation and leave all the small letter a on the other side), but I'm getting stuck trying to do so halfway:

(Note: I'm trying to make the small letter a the subject of the formula, NOT the capital letter A's!)

PS: The small dots you see in the equation are multiplication operators. They just mean this multiplied by this

Would appreciate any help for this! :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes Buzz Bloom
Mathematics news on Phys.org
You could replace the many factors with a composite factor to reduce the equation to something a little more manageable:

##y = A ( (1/2)* ln ( B * sin^2(a) + 1) - ln ( cosh ( C / cos(a) ) * D - arctan ( v * sin(a) * E ) ) ) )##

where:
Code:
A = ...
B = ...
C = ...
D =  ( e^(...) - 1 )
E = ...

Likes TheShermanTanker
Hi TheShemanTanker:

I think that Jedishrfu's suggestion is a good first step, although I would also eliminate v, including it in E. I suggest the following as a second step.

Take the exponential of both sides.

ey = . . .

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Buzz

Likes TheShermanTanker

Related to Problem with an Equation -- Solving for "a" in this large equation

1. What is the purpose of solving for "a" in this equation?

The purpose of solving for "a" in this equation is to find the specific value of the variable "a" that makes the equation true. This allows us to accurately calculate and understand the relationship between the different variables in the equation.

2. How do I know if I have solved for "a" correctly?

You can check if you have solved for "a" correctly by substituting the value you have found back into the original equation and seeing if it results in a true statement. You can also use algebraic techniques to simplify and check your solution.

3. What techniques can I use to solve for "a" in this large equation?

There are several techniques that can be used to solve for "a" in a large equation, such as factoring, isolating the variable, using the quadratic formula, or using the method of substitution. The best technique to use will depend on the specific equation and the available information.

4. Can I use a calculator to solve for "a" in this equation?

In most cases, yes, you can use a calculator to solve for "a" in an equation. However, it is important to understand the steps and techniques involved in solving the equation by hand in order to fully understand the process and check your work.

5. What should I do if I am unable to solve for "a" in this equation?

If you are unable to solve for "a" in an equation, it may be helpful to review the basic principles of algebra and the specific techniques for solving equations. You can also seek assistance from a teacher, tutor, or online resources for additional support and guidance.