Problem using this formula both ways

• MHB
  • Thread starter dsryan
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Formula
In summary, the conversation discusses a method for finding the speed of a car based on distance and time. The formula involves adding three zeros to the distance, converting minutes to hours, and multiplying by 60. The conversation also mentions using a similar method for finding distance and speed and converting speeds from mph to m/s.
dsryan
Okay, so I've messed about with this for a while now and I've found that the following formula works on how to get the speed.

A car has covered 27 miles in 120 minutes. What is the speed it is traveling at?

I add three zeros to the 27, making it 27,000.

120/27000 = 225. I then put a decimal point at the start of the three digit number (if it were a 4 digit number, for example; 2225, I'd make it 2.225) but for this particular sum the number is 0.225.

0.225 x 60 = 13.500mph

I have found this method works, and its very easy!Now, I'm trying to use a similar method to use in order to obtain distances and speed.
For example, could someone answer the following setting it out the same way I did with the mph formula?

A car has been traveling 42 mph for 73 minutes, how far (in miles) has it travelled?

A car has traveled 52 miles in 39 minutes, what is the car's average speed?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Personally, I find it much easier to write:

\(\displaystyle \overline{v}=\frac{d}{t}=\frac{27\text{ mi}}{120\text{ min}}\cdot\frac{60\text{ min}}{1\text{ hr}}=\frac{27}{2}\text{ mph}=13.5\text{ mph}\)

To me it is much more obvious what is going on. For example, suppose we wish to convert a speed given in mph to m/s. We could simply write:

\(\displaystyle v\text{ mph}=v\frac{\text{mi}}{\text{hr}}\cdot\frac{127\text{ cm}}{50\text{ in}}\cdot\frac{12\text{ in}}{1\text{ ft}}\cdot\frac{5280\text{ ft}}{1\text{ mi}}\cdot\frac{1\text{ m}}{100\text{ cm}}\cdot\frac{1\text{ hr}}{3600\text{ s}}=\frac{1397}{3125}v\frac{\text{m}}{\text{s}}\)

I think you will find this method will serve you better in all types of unit conversions.

Related to Problem using this formula both ways

What is a "Problem using this formula both ways"?

A "Problem using this formula both ways" refers to a situation where a mathematical formula can be used to solve for a variable in one direction, but not in the opposite direction.

Why does a "Problem using this formula both ways" occur?

This can happen for a variety of reasons, such as the formula being incomplete or only applicable in certain conditions, or the presence of multiple solutions that cannot be determined without additional information.

How can I identify if a formula has a "Problem using this formula both ways"?

One way to identify this issue is to try solving the formula for the variable in both directions and see if the results are consistent. If they are not, then the formula may have a problem using it both ways.

Can a "Problem using this formula both ways" be resolved?

In some cases, yes. This can be done by modifying the formula or providing additional information to make it applicable in both directions. However, in some cases, the problem may be inherent to the formula and cannot be resolved.

How can I avoid encountering a "Problem using this formula both ways"?

To avoid this issue, it is important to thoroughly understand the formula and its limitations before using it. It may also be helpful to double check the results and consider other possible solutions if the formula does not work in both directions.