Problem solving with quadratic functions.

In summary, the number of acres a farmer will plant depends on the selling price per bushel of soybeans in April. If the price is $10, then 2000 acres will be planted, and if the price is $6.25, then 800 acres will be planted. To find q as a function of p, we must make p the independent variable (x) and q the dependent variable (y). The formula for this relationship is q = mx + b, where m is the slope and b is the y-intercept. In this case, the slope is -0.003125 and the y-intercept is 1999.96875. Therefore, the function for q as a function of p is q
davie08

Homework Statement

okay I know understand that I should get a reasonable understanding about the questions I post before I post them sorry about before.

An Illinois farmer will plant from 800 to 2000 acres of soybeans. The number of acres q that he will plant depends on the selling price per bushel p that is being paid in April. Suppose that if p=$10, then all 2000 acres will be planted, but if p=$6.25, then only 800 acres will be planted.

a)Assuming p and q are linearly related, find q as a function of p, giving a suitable domain.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

for some reason this question seems to work out to be the opposite of what I've been doing with my other word problems, here's what I tried.

(2000,10) and (800,6.25)

m=6.25-10/800-2000 = .003125

q-q1 = m(p-p1)

q-2000 = .003125(p-10)

q-2000 = .003125p - .03125

q= .003125p + 1999.96875 800<q<2000

so this is the wrong answer and to get the right answer I have to make p my x and q my y. Then for the domain you find what it is for price.

But I just saw a tutor and she has it on a formula sheet that x=q and p=y.

Physics news on Phys.org
davie08 said:
The number of acres q that he will plant depends on the selling price per bushel p

the clue here is "depends". Since q depends on p, p is the independent variable, which is always x.

okay thanks that makes sense.

Related to Problem solving with quadratic functions.

1. What are quadratic functions?

Quadratic functions are mathematical functions that follow the form f(x) = ax^2 + bx + c, where a, b, and c are constants and x is the variable. It is a type of polynomial function and is often represented graphically as a parabola.

2. How do you solve problems using quadratic functions?

To solve problems using quadratic functions, you need to identify the values of a, b, and c in the function f(x) = ax^2 + bx + c. Then, you can use various methods such as factoring, completing the square, or using the quadratic formula to find the solutions or roots of the function.

3. What are the real-life applications of quadratic functions?

Quadratic functions have many real-life applications, such as in physics to model the trajectory of a projectile, in engineering to design curved structures, and in finance to calculate profit or loss in a business.

4. What are the common mistakes made when solving problems with quadratic functions?

Some common mistakes made when solving problems with quadratic functions include:

• Forgetting to include the constant term (c) in the function
  • Incorrectly factoring the quadratic expression
  • Using the incorrect formula or method to find the solutions
  • Not checking the solutions for extraneous or non-real values

5. How can I improve my problem-solving skills with quadratic functions?

To improve your problem-solving skills with quadratic functions, it is important to practice solving different types of problems. You can also learn and understand the different methods of solving quadratic equations and when to use them. Additionally, reviewing and learning from your mistakes can help you improve your problem-solving abilities.