Problem solving techniques/strategies

In summary, the conversation discusses strategies for improving math skills for the SAT and word problems. The person is struggling with time management and problem solving skills on the test, despite being good at math in general. The solution suggested is to practice more problem solving style questions and to use resources like the library for additional practice. One person also suggests translating word problems into equations and solving problems slightly harder than the SAT level to improve overall math skills.
Skynt
Does anyone have any good strategies for the math portion of the SAT and word problems just in general? I have made weak - average SAT scores on the math primarily because I don't get enough done on the test within the time frame which I think is due to my problem solving skills. I'm actually really good at math, like calculus, and I do well in my math classes. What's the deal?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Practice more of those problem solving style questions. Surely there are resources available at the library that has many of those questions. Just go on and do them. Experience is best. Something I heard mathwonk here say was in a word problem, in general, every sentence can be translated into an equation, or its mathematical form. Once you've done that for all your information, try to see how that information links to give you what you want.

It's not a quick fix for the SAT, but if you really want to improve your skills solving high school level math problems (and eventually math problems in general), do problems that are slightly harder than the SAT problems such as http://www.artofproblemsolving.com/Forum/resources.php?c=182&cid=44" problems (there are several other good competition problems such as Mu Alpha Theta, Mandelbrot and RCML but I don't have any links to an archive of the problems). As the number of the problem increases, they increase in difficultly, so #1-10 on AMC will be SAT-level and get harder after that.

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Problem solving techniques/strategies

What are some common problem solving techniques/strategies?

Some common problem solving techniques/strategies include brainstorming, breaking the problem down into smaller parts, using visual aids or diagrams, trial and error, and seeking help or advice from others.

How do I know which problem solving technique/strategy to use?

The best problem solving technique/strategy to use will depend on the specific problem you are facing. It may be helpful to try different techniques and see which one works best for you. You can also seek advice from others or research different problem solving methods.

What should I do if I get stuck while trying to solve a problem?

If you get stuck while trying to solve a problem, take a step back and try to look at the problem from a different angle. You can also try taking a break and coming back to it later with a fresh perspective. If you are still stuck, seeking help or advice from others can be beneficial.

How can I improve my problem solving skills?

One way to improve problem solving skills is to practice regularly. You can also challenge yourself by tackling more difficult problems or working with others to solve problems. Reflecting on your problem solving process and identifying areas for improvement can also help enhance your skills.

Why is problem solving an important skill in science?

Problem solving is an essential skill in science because it allows scientists to identify and address complex problems in their research. It also helps scientists to think critically, creatively, and logically in order to develop new theories, experiments, and solutions. Problem solving is crucial for advancements in science and contributes to the overall progress and understanding of the world.