Problem regarding periodic current functions

In summary: You get the result.##wt_1+ψ_1 = 0####t_1 = t_2 + T/2##, the time ##t_1## is half a period later##wt_2 + \frac{wT}{2} = 0##, i don't fully understand this part. Shouldn't this be ##wt_1##? And if so how can it be 0 when it's missing ##ψ_1## term?It continued##ψ_1 - ψ_2 + \frac{wT}{2}= 0##, so ##wt_2 = ψ_1 - ψ_2##? Why is this so
diredragon

Homework Statement

Three periodic currents have the same ##f=100 Hz##. The amplitude of the second current is ##4 A##. and is equal to half of the amplitude of the third current. Effective value of the third current is 5 times that of the first current. At time ##t_1=2ms## third current increases and changes signs. The first current reached it's amplitude half a period after the second current and the second current is "ahead" in phase to third current by ##\frac{2 \pi}{3}##. Write the functions for the current intensities of the currents.

Homework Equations

3. The Attempt at a Solution [/B]
My course of alternating currents has just started and this is my first problem in the book.
What i know:
##f = 100 Hz##
##Im_1 = 4A##, the amplitude denoted by ##Im##
##Im_3 = 8A##
##\frac{Im_3}{\sqrt 2} = 5*\frac{Im_1}{\sqrt 2} \Rightarrow Im_1 = \frac{8}{5} A##
##t_1 = 2ms##, moment when ##i_3## changes sign and start to increase.
Looking for: ##i_1(t)=?, i_2(t)=?, i_3(t)=?##

The work:
The phase of the current ##i_3## is ##wt+ψ_3##. If at time ##t_1## the current changes sign than at that time the phase must be ##\frac{3\pi}{2}## since the canonical function of the current deals with a cosine function and the cosine increases at that point.
##wt_1+Ψ_3=\frac{3\pi}{2}##
##2\pi *100*2+Ψ_3=\frac{3\pi}{2}##
##ψ_3 = \frac{11\pi}{10}##
This is where i disagree with the book. It says it should be ##ψ_3 = -\frac{9}{10} \pi##
That answer i could obtain by subtracting ##2\pi## from my result but i understand the reason for such a thing. What is wrong here?

Physics news on Phys.org
diredragon said:

Homework Statement

Three periodic currents have the same ##f=100 Hz##. The amplitude of the second current is ##4 A##. and is equal to half of the amplitude of the third current. Effective value of the third current is 5 times that of the first current. At time ##t_1=2ms## third current increases and changes signs. The first current reached it's amplitude half a period after the second current and the second current is "ahead" in phase to third current by ##\frac{2 \pi}{3}##. Write the functions for the current intensities of the currents.

Homework Equations

3. The Attempt at a Solution [/B]
My course of alternating currents has just started and this is my first problem in the book.
What i know:
##f = 100 Hz##
##Im_1 = 4A##, the amplitude denoted by ##Im##
##Im_3 = 8A##
##\frac{Im_3}{\sqrt 2} = 5*\frac{Im_1}{\sqrt 2} \Rightarrow Im_1 = \frac{8}{5} A##
##t_1 = 2ms##, moment when ##i_3## changes sign and start to increase.
Looking for: ##i_1(t)=?, i_2(t)=?, i_3(t)=?##

The work:
The phase of the current ##i_3## is ##wt+ψ_3##. If at time ##t_1## the current changes sign than at that time the phase must be ##\frac{3\pi}{2}## since the canonical function of the current deals with a cosine function and the cosine increases at that point.
##wt_1+Ψ_3=\frac{3\pi}{2}##
##2\pi *100*2+Ψ_3=\frac{3\pi}{2}##
It must be a misprint: the time is 2 ms. ##2\pi *100*0.002+Ψ_3=\frac{3\pi}{2}##
diredragon said:
##ψ_3 = \frac{11\pi}{10}##
This is where i disagree with the book. It says it should be ##ψ_3 = -\frac{9}{10} \pi##
That answer i could obtain by subtracting ##2\pi## from my result but i understand the reason for such a thing. What is wrong here?
Nothing is wrong. cos(θ+2π)=cos(θ). Sometimes the phase constant is required between -pi and pi. Look in your notes.

ehild said:
It must be a misprint: the time is 2 ms. ##2\pi *100*0.002+Ψ_3=\frac{3\pi}{2}##

Nothing is wrong. cos(θ+2π)=cos(θ). Sometimes the phase constant is required between -pi and pi. Look in your notes.
It doesn't state it specifically but i guess that's how they want it.
I continued solving the problem and i found the phase of the second current with the fact that:
##ψ_2-ψ_3 = \frac{2}{3}\pi \Rightarrow ψ_2 = -\frac{7}{30}\pi##
The phase of the first current was a bit of a problem. I knew only that the first current reaches it's amplitude half the period after the second and i didn't know how to use that. I helped myself with the book solution and was wondering if you could help me understand it. It goes:
##wt_2 + ψ_2 = 0##, i think this means that at time ##t_2## the second current reaches it's amplitude as the cosine is 0.
##wt_1+ψ_1 = 0##
##t_1 = t_2 + T/2##, the time ##t_1## is half a period later
##wt_2 + \frac{wT}{2} = 0##, i don't fully understand this part. Shouldn't this be ##wt_1##? And if so how can it be 0 when it's missing ##ψ_1## term?
It continued
##ψ_1 - ψ_2 + \frac{wT}{2}= 0##, so ##wt_2 = ψ_1 - ψ_2##? Why is this so?
##ψ_1 - ψ_2 = \pi \Rightarrow ψ_1 = \frac{23}{30} \pi##
These are the correct results but i don't understand the reasoning behind the first current's calculations.

diredragon said:
It doesn't state it specifically but i guess that's how they want it.
I continued solving the problem and i found the phase of the second current with the fact that:
##ψ_2-ψ_3 = \frac{2}{3}\pi \Rightarrow ψ_2 = -\frac{7}{30}\pi##
The phase of the first current was a bit of a problem. I knew only that the first current reaches it's amplitude half the period after the second and i didn't know how to use that. I helped myself with the book solution and was wondering if you could help me understand it. It goes:
##wt_2 + ψ_2 = 0##, i think this means that at time ##t_2## the second current reaches it's amplitude as the cosine is 0.
##wt_1+ψ_1 = 0##
##t_1 = t_2 + T/2##, the time ##t_1## is half a period later
##wt_2 + \frac{wT}{2} = 0##, i don't fully understand this part. Shouldn't this be ##wt_1##? And if so how can it be 0 when it's missing ##ψ_1## term?
There can be misprints and errors in any book. You are right. ##t_1 = t_2 + T/2##, substitute it into the equation
##wt_1+ψ_1 = 0## --> ##wt_2+wT/2+ψ_1= 0##.
You know that ##wt_2 + ψ_2 = 0##, that is, ##wt_2 = - ψ_2 ##, so
##ψ_1- ψ_2+wT/2=0##, and wT/2=pi.

Last edited:
Likes diredragon

Related to Problem regarding periodic current functions

1. What is a periodic current function?

A periodic current function is a mathematical representation of an electric current that repeats itself at regular intervals. It is characterized by a constant amplitude and frequency.

2. What causes periodic current functions?

Periodic current functions are caused by alternating voltage sources, such as AC generators, in which the direction of the current changes periodically.

3. What is the difference between a periodic current function and a non-periodic current function?

The main difference between these two types of current functions is that a periodic current function repeats itself at regular intervals, while a non-periodic current function does not have a predictable pattern and can vary in amplitude and frequency.

4. How are periodic current functions used in real life?

Periodic current functions are used in many practical applications, such as in household electrical systems, power grids, and electronic devices. They are also used in scientific research, particularly in the study of wave phenomena.

5. What is the significance of Fourier analysis in understanding periodic current functions?

Fourier analysis is a mathematical tool that helps break down a periodic current function into its component frequencies, allowing us to better understand its behavior and make predictions about its future behavior. This analysis is crucial in the study and application of periodic current functions.