Problem of current monitoring in microfluidics

In summary: It is recommended to thoroughly check the sealing of the nanochannels, clean the electrodes, and ensure the buffer solution is well-mixed before further experimentation. In summary, the high current result could be due to leakage, contamination, non-uniformity of the nanochannels, or variation in the buffer solution conductivity.
frenchero
Hi!
I want to characterize microfluidic device with nanochannels and i choosed to use current monitoring. The nanochannel is basically linking to resevoirs (microchannels with electrodes. At one electrodes I have the voltage and on the outlet of my chip I put a resistance. By mesuring the vltage of my resistance I have directly acces to the current in my chip.
But I have a little problem
I preparde a buffer which conducitivty is 9.4e-4 S/m. Knowing that I have 9500 500µm long nanochannels in parallel I should have for 100V voltage a current of about 1e-2µA. But I mesure a current of 30µA! I also tried to introduce Dionized water in my nanochannel and I have the same result! So apparently something iraise the current intensity and is hiding the current I want to monitor.
Would someone have an idea of what could explain this high current result?

Thank you a lot!

Engineering news on Phys.org
The high current result could be caused by several factors. The first one is that the nanochannels may not be completely sealed and the buffer solution may have leaked out, causing a decrease in resistance and an increase in current. Another possible factor could be contamination of the electrodes, which could cause an increase in electrical conductivity and thus an increase in current. Additionally, it is possible that the nanochannels are not completely uniform, and some channels may be wider than others, causing a decrease in resistance and an increase in current. Finally, the buffer solution may not be completely homogeneous, and there could be areas of higher or lower conductivity, which could also lead to a higher current result.

Hello,

The problem you are experiencing with current monitoring in your microfluidic device is likely due to several factors. First, the conductivity of your buffer may not be accurately measured or may vary throughout the device. This can lead to discrepancies in the expected current values. Additionally, the nanochannels may not be uniformly sized or may have defects that can affect the flow of current. It is also possible that there is leakage or short-circuiting occurring within the device, causing an increase in current. Another potential issue could be the electrodes themselves, as they may not be properly calibrated or may have a high resistance which can affect the current readings.

To address these issues, it would be beneficial to carefully calibrate your device and ensure that all components are functioning properly. This may involve using a different buffer solution with a known conductivity, checking the integrity of the nanochannels, and verifying the accuracy of the electrodes. Additionally, it may be helpful to consult with other researchers in the field or seek advice from experts who have experience with microfluidic devices and current monitoring. By troubleshooting and addressing these potential sources of error, you should be able to obtain more accurate and consistent current measurements in your device.

Related to Problem of current monitoring in microfluidics

1. What is the problem of current monitoring in microfluidics?

The problem of current monitoring in microfluidics refers to the difficulty in accurately and consistently measuring the flow rate and volume of fluids in microscale channels. This is due to the small dimensions and complex fluid dynamics involved in microfluidic systems.

2. Why is accurate monitoring important in microfluidics?

Accurate monitoring is crucial in microfluidics because it allows for precise control of fluid flow, which is essential for many applications such as drug delivery, chemical synthesis, and biological analysis. Inaccurate monitoring can lead to experimental errors and unreliable results.

3. What methods are currently used for monitoring in microfluidics?

The most common methods for monitoring in microfluidics include pressure sensors, optical sensors, and electrical sensors. Pressure sensors measure changes in pressure within the microchannel, while optical sensors use light scattering or absorption to determine fluid flow. Electrical sensors, such as electrodes or microfluidic chips with integrated circuits, measure changes in electrical currents.

4. What are the challenges in current monitoring techniques for microfluidics?

One of the main challenges in current monitoring techniques for microfluidics is their limited sensitivity and accuracy in detecting small changes in flow rate. Additionally, these techniques can be complex and expensive, making them difficult to implement for routine use. There is also a lack of standardization and comparison between different monitoring methods.

5. What are some potential solutions to improve current monitoring in microfluidics?

Possible solutions to improve current monitoring in microfluidics include developing more sensitive and accurate sensors, simplifying and standardizing monitoring techniques, and integrating multiple sensors for comprehensive monitoring. Another approach is to improve the design and fabrication of microfluidic devices to minimize fluid flow variations and optimize sensor placement.