Problem involving Newtons laws

In summary, the problem involves three forces acting on a 3.10 kg mass in the xy plane. The forces are given in terms of their magnitudes and angles measured from the positive x-axis. To calculate the magnitude of acceleration, the x and y components of each force must be calculated and added independently. Then, the total force is divided by the mass in kg. The correct answer for the magnitude of acceleration is .422 m/s^2. In some situations, the weight of a mass may be required, which is calculated using w = mg. It is important to note that kg is a unit of mass, not force, and cannot be converted to Newtons.
ednof690
Problem: Three forces in an xy plane act on 3.10 kg mass. 16.90 N directed at 46 deg, 7.20 N directed at 119 deg and 9.20 N directed at 218 deg . (all angles are measured from the positive x-axis, with positive angles in the counter-clockwise direction.) Calculate the magnitude of the acceleration.

F1=16.90 cos 46 x+ 16.90 sin 46 y
F2= 7.20 cos 119 x +7.20 sin 119 y
f3= 9.20 cos 218 x + 9.20 sin 218 y

I keep getting the answer .422 m/s^2, however i am told this is incorrect. I calculated the x and y components for the forces, then added them independently and then I divided each by the mass (after converting to Newtons) which should give me the acceleration. I then calculated the magnitude by using the pythag. theorem. is there a step i am missing or am i completely off?

Physics news on Phys.org
ednof690 said:
F1=16.90 cos 46 x+ 16.90 sin 46 y
F2= 7.20 cos 119 x +7.20 sin 119 y
f3= 9.20 cos 218 x + 9.20 sin 218 y
This seems OK. What did you get for the total force?

I keep getting the answer .422 m/s^2, however i am told this is incorrect. I calculated the x and y components for the forces, then added them independently and then I divided each by the mass (after converting to Newtons) which should give me the acceleration.
What do you mean "after converting to Newtons"? The mass should be in kg, as given. Perhaps here is your error.

I have no idea why i converted to Newtons, once i calculated it using the mass in kg , I got the correct accleration. In what situation would i have to convert kg to Newtons?

Since kg is a unit of mass, not force, you can't "convert" one to the other. Sometimes you may be asked to find the weight of a given mass, but that's gotten by [itex]w = mg[/itex].

Related to Problem involving Newtons laws

1. What are Newton's laws of motion?

Newton's laws of motion are three physical laws that describe the relationship between the forces acting on an object and its motion. The first law states that an object at rest will remain at rest, and an object in motion will remain in motion at a constant velocity unless acted upon by an external force. The second law states that the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on it and inversely proportional to its mass. The third law states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction.

2. How do Newton's laws apply to real-life situations?

Newton's laws can be applied to various real-life situations such as objects in motion, forces on structures, and even the motion of planets and stars. For example, when a car accelerates, the force of the engine pushes the car forward, following Newton's second law. Similarly, when a person jumps, they push down on the ground, and the ground pushes back, propelling them upward due to Newton's third law.

3. What is the difference between mass and weight in relation to Newton's laws?

Mass is a measure of the amount of matter in an object, while weight is a measure of the force of gravity acting on an object. Newton's laws primarily deal with mass and the forces acting on it, while weight is a result of the gravitational force between two objects, such as the Earth and an object on its surface.

4. Can Newton's laws be broken or changed?

No, Newton's laws are fundamental principles of physics and have been extensively tested and proven to be accurate for most situations. However, they do have limitations, such as not being able to fully explain the behavior of objects at the atomic and subatomic level. Additionally, in extreme situations like near the speed of light or in the presence of very strong gravitational forces, the laws may not accurately predict the behavior of objects.

5. How can I use Newton's laws to solve a problem?

To solve a problem involving Newton's laws, you first need to identify the forces acting on the object and determine the direction and magnitude of each force. Then, use Newton's second law (F = ma) to calculate the acceleration of the object. Finally, use the equations of motion, such as s = ut + 1/2at^2, to calculate the displacement, velocity, or time of the object. It is essential to draw a free-body diagram and label all the forces to accurately apply Newton's laws to a problem.