Problem Involving Counting of Elements in Three Sets

In summary, the problem is to determine the number of elements in set A, given the size relationship between sets A, B, and C and the number of elements in their unions and intersection. With the additional hint that set C is twice as large as set B and three times as large as set A, it is possible to solve this problem as an equation of x. However, this may be confusing and there are no follow-up questions to this problem. The teacher has also asked an unrelated question about proving a mathematical statement for extra credit.
Kolmogorov
Problem:
-The Union of set A, set B and set C has 104 elements.
-The Union of Set A and B has 51 elements
-The Union of Set A and C has 84 elements
-The Union of Set B and C has 97 elements
-The Intersection of Set A and the Union of Set B and C has 17 elements.
-Set C has twice as many elements as set B and three times as many elements as Set A.

How many elements does A have?

Hint: Take C is 6x and solve for x.

This is what I did after drawing a Venn diagram:

A minus B[itex]\cup[/itex]C = 104-97=7
B minus A[itex]\cup[/itex]C = 104-84=20
C minus A[itex]\cup[/itex]B = 104-51=53

If you add up these numbers and subtract them from 104, you'll get that all the intersections of these sets together have 24 elements.

It is given that A[itex]\cap[/itex](B[itex]\cup[/itex]C) = 17.

Therefore, the intersection of B and C without whatever is in A, should be 7.

From this fact the elements of A can be calculated from the fact that A[itex]\cup[/itex]C has 84 elements. To calculate the elements of A take 84 and subtract the elements of C that are not in A, 84 -53 -7= 24

I didn't use the hint nor did I use the size relationship between the sets, so I am not sure if I did this problem right.

How could I solve this problem with the hint (solve as an equation of x) and the given relationship between A, B and C?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Kolmogorov said:
-Set C has twice as many elements as set B and set B has twice as many elements as Set C.

Huh?

Sorry, typo.

Set C is twice as large as B and three times as large as A.

Kolmogorov said:
Problem:
-The Union of set A, set B and set C has 104 elements.
-The Union of Set A and B has 51 elements
-The Union of Set A and C has 84 elements
-The Union of Set B and C has 97 elements
-The Intersection of Set A and the Union of Set B and C has 17 elements.
-Set C has twice as many elements as set B, and three times as many elements as Set A.

How many elements does A have?
You only need to use three of the above 7 conditions to determine the size of A, so hopefully there are some interesting follow-up questions to your problem. Given that unhelpful hint, that does not seem too likely.

The hint and the size relationship confused me. I don't see how to solve this problem as an equation of x and given the fact that C is twice as large as B and three times as A, but I guess it is possible. If someone sees it, I am curious how to proceed.

There is no follow up question to this problem.

The teacher of this course is a little bit nuts though, on another test he asked to prove that every even integer greater than 4 can be written as the sum of two primes for extra credit.

Last edited:

Related to Problem Involving Counting of Elements in Three Sets

1. What is a "problem involving counting of elements in three sets"?

A problem involving counting of elements in three sets is a mathematical problem that requires finding the number of elements that are common or unique to three different sets. This type of problem is often seen in combinatorics and probability.

2. How do I approach solving a problem involving counting of elements in three sets?

The first step in solving a problem involving counting of elements in three sets is to clearly define the sets and their elements. Then, identify the relationship between the sets and determine if the problem requires finding the number of elements that are common, unique, or a combination of both. From there, you can use counting principles such as the Addition and Multiplication principles to find the solution.

3. What are some common strategies for solving problems involving counting of elements in three sets?

Some common strategies for solving problems involving counting of elements in three sets include using Venn diagrams, creating a table or chart to organize the information, and using the Inclusion-Exclusion principle. It is also helpful to break down the problem into smaller, more manageable parts.

4. Can I use the same approach to solve every problem involving counting of elements in three sets?

While there are some general strategies that can be applied to most problems involving counting of elements in three sets, it is important to carefully read and understand each problem to determine the best approach. Some problems may require a combination of strategies or a unique approach.

5. Are there any real-world applications for problems involving counting of elements in three sets?

Yes, there are many real-world applications for problems involving counting of elements in three sets. For example, this type of problem can be used to determine the probability of outcomes in games of chance, analyze data in surveys or experiments, and solve problems in computer science and engineering. It is a useful skill for understanding and solving problems in various fields and industries.