Problem: flux through prism faces

• Thread starter PSantiago
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Flux Prism
In summary, the goal of the individual is to find the flux through the top face of a triangular prism. This goal is not possible to achieve numerically because the flux through the top face must equal the total lateral flux, which is null.
PSantiago
I need help regarding a practical problem I'm facing. It's not a homework/coursework, It's a real-life problem.

I have the values of a vector field (wind) given in six coordinates in 3D space. Those coordinates are the vertices of a triangular right prism (looks similar to my problem: http://i.imgur.com/2TU7D.png).

I would like to find the flux of this vector field through each lateral face of the prism. The components of the vector field may be approximated by linear functions.

My goal is to find the flux through the top face, given that the flux through the bottom face is null.

I'm trying to solve this numerically, i.e., using tools such as Matlab/Octave.

How could I do this?

Any suggestion (a reference for a method, a similar example, etc.) is welcome.

Sorry if this isn't the best place to post this kind of question, but since it's about flux I thought it would be included in General Physics section.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
My goal is to find the flux through the top face, given that the flux through the bottom face is null.

I'm wondering how that can be anything but zero as well? Given the top and bottom faces are parallel and the flux is wind.

Is the wind moving in a curved path? Sounds like the maths would be horrible.

In fact, it's an application of divergence theorem; sorry for not mentioning this. That's why Petyab is right in suggest Gaussian surfaces.

I'm assuming that the volume integral of 3D wind divergence is null. Thus, the flux through the closed surface bounding the volume must be null. I know that the flux through bottom face is zero. Therefore, the flux through the top face must equals the total lateral flux.

Despite the relevance of those assumptions, my point is how to numerically find the fluxes considering I don't have a function for my vector field. Moreover, I have the vector field given only in specific points in space.

Last edited:

Related to Problem: flux through prism faces

1. What is flux through prism faces?

Flux through prism faces is a measure of the amount of light that passes through the faces of a prism. It is a calculation of the amount of light that enters the prism and exits through each face, taking into account the refractive index of the prism and the angle at which the light enters.

2. How is flux through prism faces calculated?

Flux through prism faces is calculated by multiplying the incident light intensity by the refractive index of the prism and the area of the prism face, and then dividing by the cosine of the angle of incidence. This calculation can be repeated for each face of the prism to determine the total flux through the prism.

3. What factors affect the flux through prism faces?

The flux through prism faces is affected by the refractive index of the prism, the angle of incidence of the light, and the area of the prism face. Additionally, the wavelength of the light and the material of the prism can also impact the flux through prism faces.

4. Why is flux through prism faces important?

Flux through prism faces is important because it can help determine the amount of light that is transmitted through a prism, which is useful in various applications such as optics, spectroscopy, and astronomy. It is also a crucial factor in understanding the behavior of light as it passes through different materials.

5. How can the flux through prism faces be measured experimentally?

The flux through prism faces can be measured experimentally by using a light source with known intensity and a light detector to measure the intensity of the light as it exits the prism. By varying the angle of incidence and measuring the intensity at each angle, the flux can be calculated and compared to the theoretical value.