Problem doing glass slab refraction based questions

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the thickness of a glass slab with refractive index 3/2 when a dust particle is present inside. The particle appears at different distances when viewed from either side of the slab. The solution involves finding the distance between two points on the slab, using a diagram to visualize the problem.
shivam01anand

Homework Statement

I understand the basic formula per say of the apparent shift due to glass slab (t(1-1/u)) But when a question comes on i just don't know how to proceed. For ex this question came on my test and i just couldn't visualise how to make ray diagram or even attempt it.

Homework Equations

'"There is a dust particle on a a glass slab of thickness t and refractive index 3/2 . When seen from one side if the slab, the dust particle appears at a distance 6 cm. From the other side it appears at 4cm. Find the thickness t of the glass slab"

The Attempt at a Solution

t(1-1/3/2)

Physics news on Phys.org
'"There is a dust particle on a a glass slab of thickness t and refractive index 3/2 . When seen from one side if the slab, the dust particle appears at a distance 6 cm. From the other side it appears at 4cm. Find the thickness t of the glass slab"
... I think you mean that the dust particle is inside the glass slab.

The particle is closer to one side than the other.

sketch the slab side on - put a dot in it closer to one side than the other.
draw a line perpendicular to the sides of the slab that goes through the dot.
Where the line intersects the sides of the slab is points A and B.
The dot is point P.

All these are real, rather than apparent, positions.
t=|AB|

Related to Problem doing glass slab refraction based questions

1. What is the purpose of glass slab refraction in optics?

Glass slab refraction is used to study the behavior of light when it passes through a medium with a different refractive index. It helps scientists understand how light bends and changes direction when it travels from one medium to another, which is useful in many applications such as lenses, prisms, and fiber optics.

2. How do you calculate the refractive index of a glass slab?

The refractive index of a glass slab can be calculated by dividing the speed of light in a vacuum by the speed of light in the glass slab. This can be determined by measuring the angle of incidence and the angle of refraction of a light ray passing through the glass slab, using the formula n = sin(i)/sin(r), where n is the refractive index, i is the angle of incidence, and r is the angle of refraction.

3. What is the relationship between the angle of incidence and the angle of refraction in glass slab refraction?

The angle of incidence and the angle of refraction in glass slab refraction are related by Snell's law, which states that the ratio of the sine of the angle of incidence to the sine of the angle of refraction is equal to the ratio of the refractive indices of the two media. This relationship helps us understand how light bends as it passes through a medium with a different refractive index.

4. Can glass slab refraction only be applied to glass?

No, glass slab refraction can be applied to any transparent medium, such as water or plastic, as long as it has a different refractive index from the surrounding medium. This allows us to study the behavior of light in a variety of materials and understand their optical properties.

5. What are some real-world applications of glass slab refraction?

Glass slab refraction has many practical applications, including the design of lenses for glasses and cameras, the creation of prisms for splitting light into its component colors, and the development of fiber optics for telecommunications. It is also used in the study of atmospheric optics, such as the formation of rainbows and mirages.