Problem book to be used w/Courant&John vol 1?

• Thread starter jay_p
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Book
In summary, there are several good calculus problem books with solutions that can be used with Courant & John's "Introduction to Calculus and Analysis" vol 1. These include "Calculus: Early Transcendentals" by James Stewart, "Calculus: One and Several Variables" by Saturnino Salas, Einar Hille, and Garret Etgen, and "Calculus: Graphical, Numerical, Algebraic" by Finney, Demana, Waits, and Kennedy. These books offer a wide range of problems from simple to challenging and come with complete solutions. They are also available in both paperback and digital formats at affordable prices.
jay_p
Hello,

I was wondering if there is some interesting Calculus problem book with answers that I could use with Courant&John "Introduction to Calculus and Analysis" vol 1.

I know there used to be a companion book by Albert Blank, but it seems like even used copies are very difficult to find (if anyone can tell me where/how I can get one, that would be perfect!).
There is a Dover book by Ginzburg, but the reviews on Amazon seem to indicate that it's too basic. What other book could I use as a source of adequate exercises (from simple to very interesting), with solutions? Preferably not expensive, as I have some budget issues...

Thank you!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
There are several good calculus problem books with solutions that should work well with Courant & John's "Introduction to Calculus and Analysis" vol 1.
One of the best books is "Calculus: Early Transcendentals" by James Stewart, which contains a wide variety of problems from simple to challenging. It also contains detailed solutions for each problem. This book is available in both paperback and digital formats at a relatively affordable price.
Another great book is "Calculus: One and Several Variables" by Saturnino Salas, Einar Hille, and Garret Etgen. This book contains a wealth of problems from basic to advanced and includes complete solutions for each problem. It is available in both paperback and digital formats at an affordable price.
Finally, there is "Calculus: Graphical, Numerical, Algebraic" by Finney, Demana, Waits, and Kennedy. This book contains a wide range of problems from basic to advanced and includes complete solutions for each problem. This book is available in both paperback and digital formats, and it is also comparatively affordable.
I hope this information helps you find the perfect book to use with Courant & John's "Introduction to Calculus and Analysis" vol 1. Good luck!

I understand the importance of having a good problem book to supplement your learning and understanding of a subject. Unfortunately, it does seem that the Blank companion book for Courant&John's "Introduction to Calculus and Analysis" vol 1 is difficult to find. However, there are other options available that may be suitable for your needs.

One option could be to look for problem books specifically designed for use with Courant&John's textbook. These may be available online or through your university's library. Additionally, there are many online resources that offer practice problems and solutions for calculus, such as Khan Academy and Wolfram Alpha.

Another option could be to look for problem books that cover similar topics and concepts as Courant&John's textbook. This could include books by other authors such as Thomas' Calculus, Stewart's Calculus, or Larson's Calculus. While these may not have solutions provided, they can still be valuable resources for practice and reinforcement of concepts.

If budget is a concern, you could also try looking for used copies of problem books or checking with your university's library for available resources. Additionally, many textbooks now offer online resources and practice problems for students, so it may be worth checking if your textbook has any available resources.

In conclusion, while the Blank companion book may be difficult to find, there are still many options available for finding a suitable problem book to use with Courant&John's "Introduction to Calculus and Analysis" vol 1. It may take some research and digging, but with determination and resourcefulness, you should be able to find a suitable solution. Best of luck in your search!

Related to Problem book to be used w/Courant&John vol 1?

1. What is the purpose of "Problem book to be used w/Courant&John vol 1?"

The "Problem book to be used w/Courant&John vol 1" is designed to supplement the material covered in the textbook "Introduction to Calculus and Analysis" by Richard Courant and Fritz John. It contains additional practice problems and exercises to help students further understand and apply the concepts discussed in the textbook.

2. Who can use this problem book?

This problem book is intended for use by students who are studying calculus and analysis at the undergraduate or graduate level. It can also be used by instructors as a resource for creating assignments and exams.

3. Are the problems in this book similar to those in the textbook?

Yes, the problems in this book are closely related to the material covered in the textbook. They are designed to reinforce the concepts and techniques discussed in the textbook and provide additional practice for students.

4. Can this problem book be used as a standalone resource?

No, this problem book is meant to be used in conjunction with the textbook "Introduction to Calculus and Analysis." It does not contain any explanations or examples, so it is not suitable for independent study. It is best used as a supplement to the textbook.

5. How can this problem book be helpful for students?

This problem book can be a valuable resource for students as it allows them to practice and apply the concepts learned in the textbook. The problems are organized by topic, making it easy for students to identify areas where they may need more practice. Additionally, the problems are challenging and can help students improve their problem-solving skills.