Probability when painting cubes

• Thread starter Roni1985
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Probability
In summary: Nevertheless, the correct answer is 10. In summary, there are 10 different ways to paint 3 cubes using 3 colors without considering order.
Roni1985

Homework Statement

How many different ways can 3 cubes be pained if each cube is painted one color and only 3 colors red, blue, and green are available ? ( order is not considered, for example, green, green, blue is considered the same as green, blue, green).

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I couldn't recall the way to get rid or repeating outcomes.
I tried to compute them one by one and I got 10, but how is it using faster ways ?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org

I would split the calculation in the number of distinct colors used.

[3 colors] If every cube has a different color, a quick count gives 3! = 6 possible colorings, but that doesn't take the order into account. How many possibilities are there actually?
[2 colors] If two cubes have the same color, you can choose 3 colors for one and 2 for another, which gives 6 possibilities, but there are how many different orderings (e.g. in how many ways can you order aab).
[1 color] If only one color is used, all cubes have this color, so there are 3 possibilities (i.e. all red, all green or all blue).

When I add this all up (or write them all out, just to check it) I get something even smaller than 10.

Last edited:

CompuChip said:
I would split the calculation in the number of distinct colors used.

[3 colors] If every cube has a different color, a quick count gives 3! = 6 possible colorings, but that doesn't take the order into account. How many possibilities are there actually?
[2 colors] If two cubes have the same color, you can choose 3 colors for one and 2 for another, which gives 6 possibilities, but there are how many different orderings (e.g. in how many ways can you order aab).
[1 color] If only one color is used, all cubes have this color, so there are 3 possibilities (i.e. all red, all green or all blue).

When I add this all up (or write them all out, just to check it) I get something even smaller than 10.

Hi,

How do you get something smaller than 10 ?
RRR BBB GGG
RRB BBR GGR
RRG BBG GGB
RGB

Exactly 10.

So your method is basically also listing them, right ?
I thought there was a shortcut to solve this one.

The way I would solve this is using combinations.

[tex] {3 \choose 0} + {3 \choose 1} +{3 \choose 2} = 10[/tex]

Basically, you count the numbers of ways you can choose the combinations without order.

@╔(σ_σ)╝

Please explain how you got that equation.

gomunkul51 said:
@╔(σ_σ)╝

Please explain how you got that equation.
I bascially counted the number of distinct ways to pick the colours on the balls given you have not pick any ball, i have pick one of the three colours and I have picked two of the three colours.

yup, I don't remember much from my intro into prob. & stat. course :)

corecct me if I'm wrong:

[tex]
{3 \choose 0} + {3 \choose 1} +{3 \choose 2} = 10
[/tex]

[tex]
1 + 3 + 3 = 7
[/tex]

not 10 ?
I solved it semi-hard way, by using the multiplication rule:

1.1.1 = 1 (choosing RBG without repetition)
3.1.1 = 3 (choosing 3 same colors)
3.1.2 = 6 (choosing 2 of the same color and 1 other)
= 10

Last edited:

gomunkul51 said:
yup, I don't remember much from my intro into prob. & stat. course :)

corecct me if I'm wrong:

[tex]
{3 \choose 0} + {3 \choose 1} +{3 \choose 2} = 10
[/tex]

[tex]
1 + 3 + 3 = 7
[/tex]

not 10 ?

I solved it semi-hard way, by using the multiplication rule:

1.1.1 = 1 (choosing RBG without repetition)
3.1.1 = 3 (choosing 3 same colors)
3.1.2 = 6 (choosing 2 of the same color and 1 other)
= 10

I forgot how to add :rolleyes:.

Clearly, that approach was incorrect.

Sry OP.

Last edited:

Yes, I fell for that too :-)

Related to Probability when painting cubes

What is probability when painting cubes?

Probability when painting cubes refers to the likelihood or chance of obtaining a specific outcome when painting cubes, such as obtaining a certain color or pattern on the cube's surface. It is a concept used in mathematics and statistics to quantify uncertainty and make predictions based on potential outcomes.

How is probability calculated when painting cubes?

The probability of a specific outcome when painting cubes is calculated by dividing the number of desired outcomes by the total number of possible outcomes. For example, if there are 6 possible colors to paint a cube with and 2 of them are desired, the probability of obtaining the desired color is 2/6 or 1/3.

What factors affect the probability when painting cubes?

The factors that affect the probability when painting cubes include the number of colors or patterns available, the number of cubes being painted, and the desired outcome. For example, if there are fewer colors available, the probability of obtaining a specific color will be higher. Additionally, the more cubes that are being painted, the greater the chance of obtaining different outcomes.

How does the shape of the cube impact the probability when painting?

The shape of the cube can affect the probability when painting because it can influence the number of possible outcomes. For example, a cube with six sides will have a different number of possible outcomes than a cube with eight sides. This can impact the probability of obtaining a specific outcome when painting.

Why is understanding probability important when painting cubes?

Understanding probability when painting cubes is important because it allows for more accurate predictions and decision-making. By knowing the likelihood of obtaining a certain outcome, one can make informed choices and plan accordingly. It also helps in interpreting and analyzing results, especially in experiments or research involving painting cubes.