Probability question in telephone network failures

In summary, the conversation discusses the problem of calculating the probability of a telephone owner experiencing more than 4 failures in a month. The solution involves using a distribution that approximates the Binomial distribution as the number of trials becomes large. The two options discussed are the Poisson distribution and the Central Limit Theorem. Ultimately, it is determined that the Poisson distribution is more suitable for this problem.
twoflower
Hi,

I have this problem

Homework Statement

In telephone network, an average number of failures during a month for one telephone owner is 8. What is the probability that some telephone owner will experience more than 4 failures?

The Attempt at a Solution

I have no idea what distribution should I use to model this problem. So far I've come up with binomial distribution with probability of individual event 8/k, where k is number of connection the telephonist will make during a month.

But that seems really odd to me...

Could someone help please?

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
So you have the situation where there are k trials (attempted calls), the probability of "success" (i.e. there is a fault) is 8/k, and k is probably large.

What distribution is an approximation to the Binomial(n,p) as n becomes large and np stays constant?

AlephZero said:
So you have the situation where there are k trials (attempted calls), the probability of "success" (i.e. there is a fault) is 8/k, and k is probably large.

What distribution is an approximation to the Binomial(n,p) as n becomes large and np stays constant?

One way is to approximate it with Poisson distribution, but can I solve it using Central Limit Theorem? Which one is better?

I tried to finish it using the Poisson distribution and it seems ok.

Anyway, using Central Limit Theorem I got result depending on n, is it ok?

Yeap, I think Poisson distribution is more appropriate here.

Related to Probability question in telephone network failures

1. What is the probability of a telephone network failure occurring?

The probability of a telephone network failure occurring can vary depending on the specific network and its infrastructure. However, on average, the probability is relatively low, generally less than 1%.

2. How is the probability of a telephone network failure calculated?

The probability of a telephone network failure is calculated by taking into account various factors such as the number of components in the network, their failure rates, and the overall network architecture. This calculation often involves complex mathematical models and simulations.

3. Can the probability of a telephone network failure be reduced?

Yes, the probability of a telephone network failure can be reduced through various measures such as regular maintenance and upgrades, implementing redundancy and backup systems, and utilizing advanced monitoring and detection technologies.

4. What are the consequences of a telephone network failure?

The consequences of a telephone network failure can range from minor disruptions to significant financial losses. Depending on the severity and duration of the failure, it can lead to communication breakdowns, loss of revenue for businesses, and inconvenience for individuals.

5. How do scientists predict and prevent telephone network failures?

Scientists use various methods such as statistical analysis, simulation models, and trend monitoring to predict and prevent telephone network failures. By identifying potential weaknesses and implementing preventive measures, scientists can minimize the risk of failures and keep the network running smoothly.