Probability of Rolling a 5 or 7

In summary, the probability of rolling a 5 first when rolling a pair of dice until a sum of either 5 or 7 appears is 4/10 or 2/5. This can be determined by considering the sample space of 36 possible outcomes and seeing that 10 of these outcomes result in a sum of either 5 or 7, with 4 of them resulting in a sum of 5.
e(ho0n3
[SOLVED] Probability of Rolling a 5 or 7

Homework Statement

A pair of dice is rolled until a sum of either 5 or 7 appears. Find the probability that a 5 occurs first.

Homework Equations

Axioms and basic theorems of probability.

The Attempt at a Solution

There are 36 possible outcomes of a roll of a pair of dice, 4 of which result in a sum of 5 and 6 of which result in a sum of 7. Let A be event of rolling a 5 and B of rolling a 7. Then P(A) = 4/36 and P(B) = 6/36. The probability of rolling a 5 or 7 is P(A or B) = P(A) + P(B) = 10/36. The probability of not rolling a 5 or 7 is thus 1 - 10/36 = 26/36.

Define E(n) as the event that the nth roll results in a 5 and let p(n) be it's probability. If the nth roll resulted in a 5, then there were no previous rolls resulting in 5 or 7, so p(n) is thus equal to (26/36)^(n - 1) * 4/36.

The probability sought then is just the sum of p(n) for all legal values of n, which is an infinite sum. Is this right? I don't know what the sum is but it must definitely be less than or equal to 4/36.

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't think you actually need to sum the infinite series. If you get to the nth roll without rolling a 5 or a 7 and then you roll a 5 or a 7, then the ratio of the two probabilities is just the ratio of the probability of rolling a 5 to that of rolling a 7. So if you choose to write an infinite series for each of the events, the ratio of each term in one series is a fixed ratio of the term in the other series.

Dick said:
If you get to the nth roll without rolling a 5 or a 7 and then you roll a 5 or a 7, then the ratio of the two probabilities is just the ratio of the probability of rolling a 5 to that of rolling a 7.

Do you mean that P(5 occurs first) / P(7 occurs first) = P(rolling 5) / P(rolling 7)? That is certainly true so P(5 occurs first) = P(rolling 5) / P(rolling 7) * P(7 occurs first). However, that doesn't help much in computing the sought probability.

Umm. I don't see the difference in the problems. You end up with either a 5 or a 7. There are no other possibilities.

You can do the infinite series, and it isn't too hard to do that. Use this identity:

[tex]\sum_{n=0}^\infty x^n = \frac 1 {1-x}[/tex]

The identity is true for all [itex]x\;\in\;(-1,1)[/itex]

Before you do that, there is an even easier way to solve the problem, as suggested by Dick. Suppose you get the 5 or 7 on the first roll, or the tenth roll, or the one thousandth roll. All the previous rolls were neither a 5 or a 7. You can solve the problem simply by examining one single roll where you know a-priori that either a 5 or a 7 was rolled with a pair of fair dice. Given that information, what is the probability that a 5 was rolled?

You're saying that P(5 was rolled first) = P(5 was rolled | 5 or 7 was rolled) right?

Question: what does the sample space S look like for this problem? If e is in S then e has the form (e_1, e_2, ..., e_n). Each e_i is of the form (x, y) where x is the value of the upper face of one die and y is that of the other. If i = n, then x + y equals 5 or 7; otherwise x + y does not equal 5 or 7. S will contain such an e for all positive integers n.

If I'm examining one single roll, then the sample space is reduced considerably, i.e. it only contains e's of the form (e_1). How does this work?

There are 36 possible outcomes for rolling a pair of fair dice. How many of these outcomes sum to either 5 or 7?

I calculated that in my first post as 10/36.

No. That is the unconditional probability of rolling a 5 with a pair of fair dice. You did not answer my question, which was how many of the thirty six total outcomes sum to either a 5 or 7? Note: I am asking for an integer, not a probability. This is the sample space. Now, how many of these sum to 5? This you can convert to a probability.

Oops. Sorry. That should be 10: (3,2), (2,3), (1,4), (4,1), (5,2), (2,5), (3,4), (4,3), (6,1), (1,6). Of these, the first 4 sum to 5. So you're saying the probability of getting a 5 first is 4/10? I guess it makes sense to ignore the previous rolls because they don't affect the outcome of the last roll; it's as if the last roll was my first roll.

Related to Probability of Rolling a 5 or 7

What is the probability of rolling a 5 or 7 on a standard six-sided die?

The probability of rolling a 5 or 7 on a standard six-sided die is 1/6 or approximately 16.67%. This is because there are 6 possible outcomes (numbers 1-6) and only 2 of those outcomes (5 and 7) result in a successful roll.

How does the probability change if two dice are rolled?

If two dice are rolled, the probability of rolling a 5 or 7 increases to 11/36 or approximately 30.56%. This is because there are now 36 possible outcomes (6 outcomes for the first die multiplied by 6 outcomes for the second die) and 11 of those outcomes (5,1 and 1,5 for rolling a 5, and 6,1; 5,2; 4,3; 3,4; 2,5; and 1,6 for rolling a 7) result in a successful roll.

What is the relationship between the probability of rolling a 5 or 7 and the number of dice rolled?

The relationship between the probability of rolling a 5 or 7 and the number of dice rolled is directly proportional. This means that as the number of dice rolled increases, the probability of rolling a 5 or 7 also increases. This can be seen in the previous answer, where the probability of rolling a 5 or 7 increased from 1/6 for one die to 11/36 for two dice.

Is it possible to roll a 5 or 7 on a standard six-sided die?

It is not possible to roll a 5 or 7 on a standard six-sided die, as the numbers on the die only go up to 6. However, it is possible to roll a 5 or 7 if two dice are rolled simultaneously, as explained in the previous answers.

How do I calculate the probability of rolling a 5 or 7 if I roll three dice?

To calculate the probability of rolling a 5 or 7 when rolling three dice, you would use the same method as in the previous answers. First, determine the number of possible outcomes by multiplying the number of outcomes for each die (6 x 6 x 6 = 216). Then, determine the number of successful outcomes by counting the number of combinations that result in a 5 or 7 (5,1,1; 4,2,1; 3,3,1; 3,2,2; 2,2,3; 2,3,2; 1,4,2; 1,3,3; 1,2,4; 2,1,4; 3,1,3; 4,1,2; and 5,1,1 for rolling a 5, and 6,1,1; 5,2,1; 4,3,1; 3,4,1; 2,5,1; 1,6,1; 5,1,2; 4,2,2; 3,3,2; 2,4,2; 1,5,2; 4,1,3; 3,2,3; 2,3,3; 1,4,3; 3,1,4; 2,2,4; and 1,3,4 for rolling a 7). The probability can then be calculated by dividing the number of successful outcomes by the total number of possible outcomes (21/216 or approximately 9.72%).