Probability of finding a system an eigenstate

In summary, the problem involves a quantum mechanical system with two stationary states and energies of E0 and 3E0. The system is initially in the ground state and a constant perturbation is applied. The task is to calculate the probability of finding the system in a specific state at a given time. The equations |c1|2 + |c2|2 = 1 and P(|2>)=|c2|2 are used to solve the problem, but the student is unsure how to retrieve the necessary probability coefficients. Perturbation theory is suggested as a possible approach, but the student has not covered it before. The student also needs to determine the matrix representations of H0, V, and H.
krobben92

Homework Statement

As the homework problem is written exactly:
Consider the quantum mechanical system with only two stationary states |1> and |2> and energies E0 and 3E0, respectively. At t=0, the system is in the ground state and a constant perturbation <1|V|2>=<2|V|1>=E0 is switched on. Calculate the probability of finding the system in the state |2>.

Homework Equations

H=V (I'm just assuming these states must be such that there is no kinetic energy and E=V, but that's just my guess - professor lacks communication skills at times).

|c1|2 + |c2|2 = 1
P(|2>)=|c2|2 (thus, I need c2 to solve the problem!)

The Attempt at a Solution

Well, I'm completely confused as to why he gave us <1|V|2>=<2|V|1>=E0, what that even means, and where I'm supposed to retrieve the probability coefficients which is all I need to solve the problem.

Physics news on Phys.org
krobben92 said:

Homework Statement

Consider the quantum mechanical system with only two stationary states |1> and |2> and energies E0 and 3E0, respectively. At t=0, the system is in the ground state and a constant perturbation <1|V|2>=<2|V|1>=E0 is switched on. Calculate the probability of finding the system in the state |2>.

Homework Equations

H=V (I'm just assuming these states must be such that there is no kinetic energy and E=V, but that's just my guess - professor lacks communication skills at times).

|c1|2 + |c2|2 = 1

Well, I'm completely confused as to why he gave us <1|V|2>=<2|V|1>=E0, what that even means, and where I'm supposed to retrieve the probability coefficients which is all I need to solve the problem.
Hi there!

Have you learned non degenerate perturbation theory? This is the formalism required to do this problem. What formula have you seen for perturbation theory?

No, at least not that I know of. I'm familiar with chapters 1-4 in Griffiths, if that helps.

Also you are given the complete information about the unperturbed Hamiltonian!

vanhees71 said:
Also you are given the complete information about the unperturbed Hamiltonian!

Right, I get that I have all of the matrix elements of the Hamiltonian, but I'm not sure how that's going to help me determine that probability of finding the system in state |2>. Also, we've never covered non degenerate perturbation theory, so is there another more elementary way to solve this problem?

krobben92 said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

No, this isn't right. You add V to the existing Hamiltonian, so H=H0+V. What are the matrix representations of H0, V, and H? You should be able to figure out the rest from there.

|c1|2 + |c2|2 = 1

Related to Probability of finding a system an eigenstate

1. What is an eigenstate?

An eigenstate is a state of a physical system in which the observable properties of the system have definite values. It is a state in which the system behaves in a predictable and stable manner, and can be described by a single set of quantum numbers.

2. How is the probability of finding a system in an eigenstate calculated?

The probability of finding a system in an eigenstate is calculated using the Born rule, which states that the probability of measuring a particular observable property of a system in a given eigenstate is equal to the square of the absolute value of the projection of the state vector onto the eigenstate vector.

3. Can the probability of finding a system in an eigenstate be greater than 1?

No, the probability of finding a system in an eigenstate cannot be greater than 1. According to the Born rule, the maximum probability is 1, which occurs when the state vector is perfectly aligned with the eigenstate vector.

4. What factors affect the probability of finding a system in an eigenstate?

The probability of finding a system in an eigenstate is affected by the state of the system, the observable property being measured, and the specific eigenstate being considered. It also depends on the time evolution of the system, which can change the state of the system and therefore affect the probability of finding it in a particular eigenstate.

5. Can the probability of finding a system in an eigenstate change over time?

Yes, the probability of finding a system in an eigenstate can change over time. This is because the state of the system can change through interactions with its environment, causing the probabilities of different eigenstates to fluctuate. Additionally, the state of the system can also change through its natural time evolution, altering the probabilities of different eigenstates.