Probability for particle in infinite square well

In summary: Glad you were able to figure it out! Keep in mind that dx represents the width of the interval, so it does need to be multiplied by 10^-12 m to get the correct units.
pinkfishegg

Homework Statement

A particle is confined between rigid walls separated by a distance L=0.189. The particle is in the second excited state (n=3). Evaluate the probability to find the particle in an interval of width 1.00 pm located at
a)x=0.188nm
b)x=0.031nm
c)x=0.79nm
What would be the corresponding results for a classical particle[/B]

Homework Equations

P(X)=abs(ψ(x)^2)dx
ψ(x)=(√2/L)*(sin(nπx/L)

The Attempt at a Solution

for part a
P(x)=(2/.189)*(sin(3π(.0188))/.189))^2=.28/m

I know the probability is just a matter of squaring ψ but my answer is way off. The got 2.63*10^-5 for part A. My first through was why does my answer have units of 1/m. I'm guessing i should multiply by dx. I thought this may be 1.00 pm but simply multiplying my answer by 10^-12 won't get the job done. Am i getting some variables mixed up here?

Physics news on Phys.org
What are the units of L? Are they in meters? Micrometers? Or even nanometers?

That is what you have to find out!

JorisL said:
What are the units of L? Are they in meters? Micrometers? Or even nanometers?

That is what you have to find out!
oh its L=0.189nm

Does that fix your problem?

When I figured it out (trial and error) I immediately got the right answer.

JorisL said:
Does that fix your problem?

When I figured it out (trial and error) I immediately got the right answer.

Silly me i kept my calculator in radians instead of degrees. But anouther not is that the dx is actually something you need to multipy by, not just some kind of notation. was getting 2.6*10-2 until i realized i needed to multiply by 10^-12 m. thanks for the help

Awesome.

Related to Probability for particle in infinite square well

1. What is the probability of finding a particle in a specific location in the infinite square well?

The probability of finding a particle in a specific location in the infinite square well is given by the square of the wave function at that location. This is known as the probability density function.

2. How does the probability distribution in the infinite square well differ from other potentials?

The probability distribution in the infinite square well is constant throughout the well, unlike other potentials where it may vary depending on the shape of the potential. This is because the infinite square well is a uniform potential.

3. Can the probability of finding a particle in the infinite square well be greater than 1?

No, the probability of finding a particle in the infinite square well cannot be greater than 1. This is because the total probability of finding the particle must be equal to 1.

4. How does the width of the infinite square well affect the probability of finding a particle?

The width of the infinite square well does not affect the probability of finding a particle, as long as the particle is within the well. This is because the probability distribution is constant throughout the well.

5. What happens to the probability of finding a particle in the infinite square well when the particle's energy increases?

As the particle's energy increases, the probability of finding it in the well decreases. This is because the higher energy levels allow the particle to escape the well and have a non-zero probability of being found outside of the well.