[Probability] Expected Value of Random Variable

In summary, the man in this problem is trying to travel to four cities but has a bad memory, making it difficult for him to remember which cities he has already visited. The expected value of how many times he would have to travel before visiting all cities at least once can be calculated using the "coupon collector's problem" approach, where the number of trips is a sum of three independent geometric random variables. To find the probability function for this problem, one can use the cases of the man visiting just 2 or 3 cities after n visits and use the corresponding probabilities pi for each city.
trash

Homework Statement

A man wants to travel to four cities (A,B,C,D) but he has such a bad memory that he can't remember the cities that visited, therefore, if he travel to city A he can choose between (B,C,D) and if he then travel to B he can choose between (A,C,D).
Find v, If v it's the expected value of how many times he would have to travel before visited all cities at least once.

Homework Equations

X= "# of times required to visit all cities at least once."
[itex]E(X) = \Sigma xp_{X}(x)itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm having some issue trying to find the probability function [itex]p_{X}(x)[/itex].
Since he already traveled to some city -let's say A- and then travels to another city -let's say B-, then P("going to another city not traveled before") = {C,D}/{A,C,D} = 2/3.
It seems to me that P{X=4}= (2/3)*(1/3).

Now, how can i get P {X=n} ?. I've been thinking about a binomial distribution, but it doesn't seem quite right because with X~Bin(n,p) i can't just use one value of p -that changes depending of how many different cities he already visited.

Physics news on Phys.org
Right.

What is the probability that the man visited just 2 cities after n visits? What is the probability that he visited just 3?
If you know those two, it is easier to calculate p(x).

trash said:

Homework Statement

A man wants to travel to four cities (A,B,C,D) but he has such a bad memory that he can't remember the cities that visited, therefore, if he travel to city A he can choose between (B,C,D) and if he then travel to B he can choose between (A,C,D).
Find v, If v it's the expected value of how many times he would have to travel before visited all cities at least once.

Homework Equations

X= "# of times required to visit all cities at least once."
[itex]E(X) = \Sigma xp_{X}(x)itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm having some issue trying to find the probability function [itex]p_{X}(x)[/itex].
Since he already traveled to some city -let's say A- and then travels to another city -let's say B-, then P("going to another city not traveled before") = {C,D}/{A,C,D} = 2/3.

Now, how can i get P {X=n} ?. I've been thinking about a binomial distribution, but it doesn't seem quite right because with X~Bin(n,p) i can't just use one value of p -that changes depending of how many different cities he already visited.

This is much like the "coupon collector's problem", except that here we cannot immediately collect a coupon of the type that we have just now collected. See, eg., http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coupon_collector's_problem

The number of trips is a sum on three independent, but not identically-distributed geometric random variables. Getting the mean is a lot easier than getting the whole probability distribution.

Thanks, both of you.

mfb said:
Right.

What is the probability that the man visited just 2 cities after n visits? What is the probability that he visited just 3?
If you know those two, it is easier to calculate p(x).

Let me give it a try:
>What is the probability that the man visited just 2 cities after n visits?
He's in a random city and travel to another random city, then if he chooses always the city he already visited from a total of three, then

P{"the man visited just 2 cities after n visits" } = (1/3)^(n-2)

>What is the probability that he visited just 3?
I'm not sure if i know how to do this, but here what I'm heading:
Case 1: After he arrives to the second city he chooses a different city, then keep traveling between
---> P (case 1) = (2/3)^(n-2)
Case 2: After he arrives to the second city he chooses a city he already visited, then a different city:
---> P (case 2) = (1/3)[(2/3)^(n-3)]
Case k: After he arrives to the k city he chooses a city he already visited k times, then a different city:
---> P (case k) = (1/3)[(2/3)^(n-(k+1))]

And P{"What is the probability that he visited just 3?"} = [itex]\bigcup[/itex] P(case i)

Then P("the man visited just 4 cities after n visits") = 1 - P("the man visited just 3 cities after n visits") - P("the man visited just 2 cities after n visits").

Ray Vickson said:
This is much like the "coupon collector's problem", except that here we cannot immediately collect a coupon of the type that we have just now collected. See, eg., http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coupon_collector's_problem

The number of trips is a sum on three independent, but not identically-distributed geometric random variables. Getting the mean is a lot easier than getting the whole probability distribution.
Then, for this excersise would be something like "Suppose that there are 4 types of cities, and that each day a traveler randomly visit one of those with probability pi corresponding to the ith city, how many travels do you expect he needs to do before having visited every city at least once?"

Maybe can i use the k cases i used before -the corresponding pi-?

trash said:
Thanks, both of you.

Let me give it a try:
>What is the probability that the man visited just 2 cities after n visits?
He's in a random city and travel to another random city, then if he chooses always the city he already visited from a total of three, then

P{"the man visited just 2 cities after n visits" } = (1/3)^(n-2)

>What is the probability that he visited just 3?
I'm not sure if i know how to do this, but here what I'm heading:
Case 1: After he arrives to the second city he chooses a different city, then keep traveling between
---> P (case 1) = (2/3)^(n-2)
Case 2: After he arrives to the second city he chooses a city he already visited, then a different city:
---> P (case 2) = (1/3)[(2/3)^(n-3)]
Case k: After he arrives to the k city he chooses a city he already visited k times, then a different city:
---> P (case k) = (1/3)[(2/3)^(n-(k+1))]

And P{"What is the probability that he visited just 3?"} = [itex]\bigcup[/itex] P(case i)

Then P("the man visited just 4 cities after n visits") = 1 - P("the man visited just 3 cities after n visits") - P("the man visited just 2 cities after n visits").

Then, for this excersise would be something like "Suppose that there are 4 types of cities, and that each day a traveler randomly visit one of those with probability pi corresponding to the ith city, how many travels do you expect he needs to do before having visited every city at least once?"

Maybe can i use the k cases i used before -the corresponding pi-?

Assume he starts is some city, so that starting place is a "visit", but is not a "trip". (If you don't like that convention, just shift the number of steps by 1.) So, he starts by having visited 1 city. On the first step he travels to some other city, so after 1 step he will have visited 2 cities. After that, the number of steps N3 he needs to take to visit a new (as-yet-unvisited) city is a geometric random variable with success probability p3 = 2/3. Once a new city has been visited (so he has now visited 3 different cities) the number of steps N4 he needs to take to take to first visit the 4th city is a geometric random variable with success probability p4 = 1/3. The total number of steps is N = 1 + T3 + T4, where T3 and T4 are independent. Of course, the expected value is EN = 1 + E(T3) + E(T4), and this is easy to get (because there are standard formulas for the expected value of a geometric random variable).

We can get the probability P{N = n}, n = 3,4,5, ... either by computing the convolution of the two geometric distributions, or by using generating-function methods.

Related to [Probability] Expected Value of Random Variable

1. What is the definition of expected value?

The expected value of a random variable is the theoretical average of all possible outcomes, weighted by their probabilities. It is often denoted by E(X) or μ and is used to measure the central tendency of a random variable.

2. How is expected value calculated?

To calculate the expected value, you multiply each possible outcome by its corresponding probability and then sum all of these products together. This can be represented by the formula E(X) = x1p1 + x2p2 + ... + xnpn, where xi is a possible outcome and pi is its probability.

3. What is the significance of expected value in probability?

The expected value is an important concept in probability as it represents the long-term average outcome of a random variable. It can be used to make decisions in situations where there is uncertainty, as it gives an idea of what value or outcome can be expected.

4. Can the expected value be negative?

Yes, the expected value can be negative. This can occur when the possible outcomes have a higher probability of being negative than positive. For example, if a random variable represents the profit or loss from a business venture, a negative expected value would indicate that the venture is more likely to result in a loss.

5. How does the expected value change with different probability distributions?

The expected value can vary depending on the probability distribution of a random variable. For a discrete random variable, the expected value is a weighted average of all possible outcomes. For a continuous random variable, the expected value is calculated by integrating the random variable over its range of values. In general, the expected value will increase as the probabilities of higher outcomes increase, and decrease as the probabilities of lower outcomes increase.