Probability density with finite moment?

In summary, the exercise requires constructing a density function that has a finite moment of order r but no higher finite moments. The hint provided is to use the series \sum_{k=1}^{\infty} k^{-(r+2)} and turn it into a density. After some confusion, it is realized that the raw form of the series can be used as the density function, and by dividing it by itself, it converges to 1 for r >= 0, with moments of order > r diverging.
bjj_99

Homework Statement

From Hoel, Port, & Stone, Chapter 4, Exercise 9: Construct an example of a density that has a finite moment of order r but has no higher finite moment. Hint: Consider the series [tex] \sum_{k=1}^{\infty} k^{-(r+2)} [/tex] and make this into a density.

Btw, this is for my own self-study. I don't even know if schools use this book anymore (my edition is from 1971).

Homework Equations

The r-th moment for a discrete random variable is defined as [tex] \sum_{k}k^r f(k) [/tex] where f(k) is a probability density function [tex] (i.e., \sum_{k}f(k) = 1 ) [/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

If we were to take the Hint and pretend f is a probability density defined by [tex] f(k) = k^{-(r+2)} [/tex], then I see that a moment of order > r would result in something greater than a harmonic series, which is divergent. But I don't see how to turn f into a probability density function. I know [tex] \sum_{k=1}^{\infty} k^{-2} = \pi / 6[/tex], but I'm pretty sure there are no "convenient" solutions for [tex] \sum_{k=1}^{\infty} k^{-(r+2)} [/tex] where r is an arbitrary positive integer. If there were, than I could just normalize the series to 1 by dividing it, e.g., [tex] \frac{6}{\pi} \sum_{k=1}^{\infty} k^{-2}[/tex] qualifies as a probability density for r=0.

Any help would be much appreciated! A hint or two would be ideal. All of the exercises in this book have been relatively straightforward up to this point, so I feel like this question should not be that difficult. Perhaps I am just misunderstanding the question.

Physics news on Phys.org
Ah, figured it out. I was looking for a nice solution when the raw form would suffice... just divide the series above by itself. So the probability density function would be:
[tex]
\frac{1}{\sum_{k=1}^{\infty} k^{-(r+2)}} \sum_{k=1}^{\infty} k^{-(r+2)} [/tex]
[tex]
= \sum_{k=1}^{\infty} \frac{k^{-(r+2)}}{\sum_{k=1}^{\infty} k^{-(r+2)}} [/tex]

This converges to 1 for r >= 0. And moments of order > r would diverge.

Related to Probability density with finite moment?

What is the definition of probability density with finite moment?

Probability density with finite moment is a mathematical concept that describes the likelihood of a continuous random variable falling within a specific range of values. It is represented by a probability density function, which assigns a probability value to each possible outcome of the variable. A finite moment refers to a specific order of the probability density function, which indicates the rate at which the function approaches zero as the variable approaches infinity.

What is the difference between probability density and probability distribution?

Probability density and probability distribution are closely related concepts, but they are not the same. Probability density refers to the likelihood of a continuous random variable falling within a specific range of values, while probability distribution refers to the collection of all possible outcomes and their corresponding probabilities for a given variable. In other words, probability density is a function that describes the distribution of a continuous variable, while probability distribution is a set of values that represent the possible outcomes of that variable.

How is probability density with finite moment calculated?

Probability density with finite moment is calculated using a probability density function, which is a mathematical formula that assigns a probability value to each possible outcome of a continuous random variable. The specific formula used will depend on the type of probability density function being used, such as the normal distribution or the exponential distribution. These functions take into account the mean and standard deviation of the variable, as well as any other relevant parameters, to calculate the probability density with finite moment.

Why is probability density with finite moment important in statistics?

Probability density with finite moment is important in statistics because it allows us to make predictions and draw conclusions about continuous random variables. By calculating the probability density with finite moment, we can determine the likelihood of a certain outcome occurring and make informed decisions based on this information. It also allows us to compare different variables and their distributions, making it a valuable tool in statistical analysis.

What are some real-world applications of probability density with finite moment?

Probability density with finite moment has many real-world applications in various fields such as finance, engineering, and physics. In finance, it is used to model stock prices and interest rates, while in engineering it is used to predict failure rates and analyze data from experiments. In physics, it is used to study the behavior of particles and energy levels. Additionally, probability density with finite moment is used in risk analysis and decision-making processes in many industries.