Probability density function problem

In summary, the probability of the region common to both X > 0.5 and X ≤ 0.8 is given by$$P(X \leq 0.8 | X>0.5) = \frac{3}{4} \cdot \frac{1-x^2}{1-x}$$
Nikitin

Homework Statement

Let the probability density function##f(x) = (3/4) \cdot (1-x^2)## if x is between -1 and 1, and let ##f(x)=0## otherwise.

What is the probability of ##P(X \leq 0.8 | X>0.5)##?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I assume I have to rewrite the p.d.f. into a joint probability density function so I can use bayes' rule?

And what does the large "##X##" mean in probabilities? Often my texts uses large X-es instead of small. Is the large X for the actual event, while the small x is just a function variable?

Physics news on Phys.org
Nikitin said:

Homework Statement

Let the probability density function##f(x) = (3/4) \cdot (1-x^2)## if x is between -1 and 1, and let ##f(x)=0## otherwise.

What is the probability of ##P(X \leq 0.8 | X>0.5)##?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I assume I have to rewrite the p.d.f. into a joint probability density function so I can use bayes' rule?

And what does the large "##X##" mean in probabilities? Often my texts uses large X-es instead of small. Is the large X for the actual event, while the small x is just a function variable?

##X## denotes the random variable whose density function is ##f(x)##. So the probability that ##X## falls between ##a## and ##b## is$$
P(a\le X \le b) = \int_a^b f(x)~dx$$You should be able to use that formula along with the definition of conditional probability to solve your problem.

Likes 1 person
Could you put me on the right track? I'm not sure how to use conditional probability on this, as I don't know the probability for the intersection between "##X \leq 0.8##" and "##X>0.5)##".

Nikitin said:
Could you put me on the right track? I'm not sure how to use conditional probability on this, as I don't know the probability for the intersection between "##X \leq 0.8##" and "##X>0.5)##".

What values of ##X## satisfy both inequalities?

Likes 1 person
Nikitin said:

Draw a number line for X. Sketch the two regions X > 0.5 and X ≤ 0.8. What part of the line is the region common to both these larger regions? Using the given density, how would you compute the probability of that common region?

I urge you to struggle with this if necessary; asking for too much help on such problems hinders your learning and will not be good for you in the long run at exam time. If you cannot get it in 2 minutes, don't give up. If you need two hours, take two hours.

Likes 1 person
LCKurtz said:
What values of ##X## satisfy both inequalities?

oh god how foolish of me. Thank you! I understand it all now.

Ray Vickson said:
Draw a number line for X. Sketch the two regions X > 0.5 and X ≤ 0.8. What part of the line is the region common to both these larger regions? Using the given density, how would you compute the probability of that common region?

I urge you to struggle with this if necessary; asking for too much help on such problems hinders your learning and will not be good for you in the long run at exam time. If you cannot get it in 2 minutes, don't give up. If you need two hours, take two hours.

I got it now. I was too confused to see what the intersection of the two events actually was (it was really stupid of me to not get it immediately). thanks for the advice!

Related to Probability density function problem

1. What is a probability density function (PDF)?

A probability density function (PDF) is a mathematical function that describes the probability of a continuous random variable falling within a particular range of values. It is used to model the probability distribution of a continuous variable, such as height or weight, in a population.

2. How is a PDF different from a probability distribution function (PDF)?

A PDF and a probability distribution function (PDF) are often used interchangeably, but they are slightly different. A PDF represents the probability density of a continuous variable, while a probability distribution function represents the probability of a discrete variable taking on a specific value.

3. How do you calculate the area under a PDF curve?

The area under a PDF curve represents the probability of a continuous variable falling within a certain range. To calculate this, you can use integration to find the area under the curve within the desired range. This can be done using calculus or with the help of software or calculators.

4. What is the difference between a PDF and a cumulative distribution function (CDF)?

A cumulative distribution function (CDF) represents the probability of a random variable being less than or equal to a certain value. It is the cumulative sum of probabilities of all values that are less than or equal to the given value. In contrast, a PDF represents the probability density of a random variable at a specific point.

5. How can a PDF be used in real-world applications?

A PDF can be used in various real-world applications, such as in statistics, economics, and engineering. It is used to model the probability distribution of continuous variables, which allows for better understanding and analysis of data. Some examples include predicting stock prices, analyzing weather patterns, and studying population demographics.