Probability and Statistics question

In summary, optimistic cost refers to the minimum possible cost and pessimistic cost refers to the maximum possible cost. The difference between these costs is known as the range. The mean cost is the average of the optimistic and pessimistic cost. In this scenario, the mean cost is 340 million. The probability of the future project cost exceeding 325 million is 38.5%.
mkamalkayani
Please can anyone tell me what is optimistic cost and what is pessimistic cost. You may suggest a book or a link where I can find explanation. I have tried to search for it but could not find anything useful. I want to solve the questions shown below.
I will be grateful to you for your help. Thanks
View attachment 4887

Attachments

• mean cost.PNG
    mean cost.PNG
    13.1 KB · Views: 39
Mathematics news on Phys.org
This is how I tackle this problem.

Minimum possible cost is 301 million and the maximum possible cost is $340 million.
The difference between these costs is 39 million. The mean cost which exceeds from 325 is 340 million minus 325 million which is equal to 15 million.

Therefore, the probability that the future project mean cost will exceed 325 million is equal to 15/39 = 0.385 = 38.5%

Related to Probability and Statistics question

1. What is the difference between probability and statistics?

Probability is the branch of mathematics that deals with the likelihood of an event occurring, while statistics is the science of collecting, analyzing, and interpreting data.

2. How is probability used in everyday life?

Probability is used in everyday life to make predictions about events and to make decisions based on the likelihood of certain outcomes. For example, we use probability when deciding which route to take to work based on the probability of traffic on each route.

3. What is the difference between theoretical probability and experimental probability?

Theoretical probability is the probability of an event occurring based on mathematical calculations, while experimental probability is the probability of an event occurring based on actual trials or experiments.

4. What is the Central Limit Theorem?

The Central Limit Theorem is a fundamental concept in statistics that states that as the sample size of a population increases, the distribution of sample means will approach a normal distribution, regardless of the shape of the original population.

5. How do you calculate the mean, median, and mode of a data set?

The mean is calculated by adding all the values in a data set and dividing by the number of values. The median is the middle value when the data set is arranged in ascending or descending order. The mode is the most frequently occurring value in a data set.