Probabilities for orthonormal wavefunctions

I|psi_2>In summary, the probabilities p1(a1) and p2(a2) of obtaining the value a sub n in the state |psi1> and |psi2> respectively can be expressed in terms of the eigenstates and the state of the system as given by kac9 in equation [3.43] of Griffiths. The state of the system is either in |psi1> or |psi2> and the identity operator can be written as I=sum_i |phi_i><phi_i|.
kac9
Ok I have two orthonormal wavefunctions of a system, [tex]\psi[/tex] 1 and [tex]\psi[/tex] 2 and [tex]\widehat{A}[/tex] is an observable such that

[tex]\widehat{A}[/tex] |[tex]\phi[/tex] [tex]_{n}[/tex] > = a[tex]_{n}[/tex] |[tex]\phi[/tex] [tex]_{n}[/tex] >

for eigenvalues a sub n

what are the probabilities p1(a1) and p2(a2) of obtaining the value a sub n in the state |psi1> and |psi2> respectively in terms of only phi sub i and psi sub 1(or 2)

Physics news on Phys.org
If I understand your question-

You can't work out the probabilities from knowledge of the eigenvalues of an operator.

christianjb said:
If I understand your question-

You can't work out the probabilities from knowledge of the eigenvalues of an operator.

But the probability that a measurement yields a particular eigenvalue can be expressed in terms of the associated eigenstate and the state of the system, which, if I have interpreted the original post correctly, kac9 has given.

kac9: I'm having trouble guiding you to the answer without just writing down the answer. This is a basic postulate of (shut up and calculate) quantum mechanics. It must be in your notes and text. If you're using Griffiths, it's equation [3.43].

George: Ah yes, the state is either in psi1 or psi2- my mistake.

Well- a hint would be to write down the identity operator in terms of |phi>

I=sum_i |phi_i><phi_i|

|psi_1>=I|psi_1>

Related to Probabilities for orthonormal wavefunctions

What is an orthonormal wavefunction?

An orthonormal wavefunction is a mathematical function that describes the probability amplitude of a quantum system. It is used in quantum mechanics to calculate the probability of finding a particle at a specific location or with a specific momentum.

How are probabilities for orthonormal wavefunctions calculated?

The probability of finding a particle with an orthonormal wavefunction at a specific location is calculated by taking the square of the absolute value of the wavefunction at that location. The total probability of finding the particle at any location is equal to 1.

What is the significance of the orthonormality of wavefunctions?

The orthonormality of wavefunctions is significant because it ensures that the total probability of finding a particle at any location is always equal to 1. It also allows for the mathematical simplification of calculations involving wavefunctions.

Can orthonormal wavefunctions be used to describe any quantum system?

Yes, orthonormal wavefunctions can be used to describe any quantum system, as long as the system is in a stable state. However, in more complex systems, multiple wavefunctions may be needed to fully describe the system.

How do orthonormal wavefunctions relate to the Heisenberg uncertainty principle?

The Heisenberg uncertainty principle states that it is impossible to know both the position and momentum of a particle simultaneously. Orthonormal wavefunctions are used to calculate the probability of finding a particle at a specific location, and this probability decreases as the uncertainty in momentum increases, and vice versa.